Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Connecting My Sony Vaio To Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vaiouser

vaiouser

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hi everybody.

I have a linksys WRT54G2 router that i recently bought. and i have this old laptop its from around 2004 if i remmebr right. its a sony vaio VGN-A130B, and im running windows xp professional vrsion 2002 service pack 1.

now the problem is i see all availbele wireless networks including my own, but when i choose mine and enter the network key (i believee its the network secturity key) and click connect nothing happens, it does not connect but it doesnt give me a message saying couldnt connect either....what should i do?

i was searching the internet and there was something about putting a service pack 2??? sorry guys im pretty new to this stuff please help me out.

do i have to configure my router or something? do i have to install some software on my laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:14 PM

This is, unfortunately, what happens sometimes when you are not using the same network key that the router has. First step I would recommend is to verify the key that is being used in the router and make sure you are typing in the same one on your computer. Remember that capital versus lower case letters can make a big difference depending on how the network was setup.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hi Vaiouser, welcome to BC.

Try going to Control Panel/Network Connections, right click on your connection and select REPAIR. Let Windows have a go at repairing the connection - this can take a little time. It may not work but is a good start.

Re SP2, this is vital for your security and should be installed as soon as possible.

Good luck.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 vaiouser

vaiouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

Thank you guys for the replies.

Installing SP2 solved the problem!

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for letting us know.

Stick around and enjoy BleepingComputer.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users