Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Recover Data From Formatted External Usb Drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kaveman

kaveman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

Hi,

I was installing XP on a machine that I had my external USB hd connected to at the same time. When the prompt came up to format the drive & partition it, I accidently chose the USB drive. By the time I realized the mistake, it was too late. Now I cannot see the USB drive at all when I plug it into other machines. I have tried exploring My Computer, Device Manager, Administrative Tools to no avail. My question is in two parts:

1. Is there a way to recover the data lost thru the formatting?

2. If not, then how can I access the drive to use it again?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:52 AM

Formatting the drive will erase all of the information on it.

If the drive isn't formatted Windows will not recognize it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:22 AM

Data recovery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recovery

Data Recovery Software - Hard Drive Recovery - RAID Data Recovery - http://www.runtime.org/ This is not an all-inclusive list nor is it a recommendation of any of these.

Data Recovery Tool for Windows XP - http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm Same comment as above.

File Recovery & Undelete Software, Restorer2000 - http://www.bitmart.net/ Same comment.

Louis

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

It can be done. My dad did the same thing, He purchased a program that worked like a charm. I will get the info and pass it along.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

The program he used was Easeus Data Recovery Wizard and it cost 69.95 to register the program. You can download a trial for free but you won't be able to save the recovered files until you register it. He said it worked like a charm.

"Data Recovery Wizard is complex data recovery software developed for non-destructive data recovery from Hard Disk drives and other storage devices. It may sound complicated at first, but after reading this manual and using Data Recovery Wizard, you'll found that despite the complexity of the software, it's very easy to use. Here's a little bit about the software:

Wizard mode leads data recovery.

Step-by-step guides walk you through recovery session painlessly and easily. Intelligentized partition analysis and file research, needless complicated setting.

Data Recovery Wizard can recover folders and files that were lost because of following causes:

1. Intentional (trashed files) or unintentional deletion
2. Viruses
3. Formatting a disk
4. FDISK or any other disk-partitioning tool
5. All other non-physical data loss problems

Data Recovery Wizard can recover files and folders from disks on which the following components have become corrupted (or even if they are completely missing):

1. Partition table (main or extended)
2. Boot record (sometimes called "BIOS Parameter Block" or BPB)
3. File allocation table (both FAT1 and FAT2 on file systems that use FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32)
4. Root folder
5. Master file table

When Data Recovery Wizard recovers your data, you need have the options of saving it to another hard drive, a network drive, a floppy disk or some other type of storage device."

Edited by Sneakycyber, 01 September 2008 - 04:52 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users