Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Horse Bho.o

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 angelpc

angelpc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

I am trying to help a friend. They do not have a window xp disk.

They had on their pc:
all kinds of tool bars
pcprivacy cleaner
antivirus xp 2008
spy doctor

They had constant pop-ups and it was really slow.

I have removed all of those programs. No more popup and the pc is not as slow.

I have installed AVG, Ccleaner, ad aware and Hijackthis.

Everything seems to be fine except AVG keeps finding Trojan Horse BHO.O (c:\windows\system32\shdocv.dll)
I can not find any where on the web how to remove this. I know that if I reformat that would probably fix everything. But they dont have a disk.
I have tried to search to find out what (c:\windows\system32\shdocv.dll) this file is, but it is like this file does not excist (well at least in google world)

Is there any way around this? ARGH PLEASE HELP!
Not sure if I posted in the right spot this is my first post...

Edited by Orange Blossom, 30 August 2008 - 08:52 PM.
Move to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:29 PM

Hello and welcome. I think we can help you out here.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you have another security program like Spybot S&D, it may alert you that changes have been made. If you get such an alert, permit the program to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 angelpc

angelpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:30 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.25
Database version: 1078
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

2:36:59 PM 8/23/2008
mbam-log-08-23-2008 (14-36-59).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 34690
Time elapsed: 15 minute(s), 36 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 17
Registry Values Infected: 6
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 19
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{61d5253f-e1d9-48ae-872b-c8f79eddee6b} (Trojan.BHO.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{61d5253f-e1d9-48ae-872b-c8f79eddee6b} (Trojan.BHO.H) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{cf54be1c-9359-4395-8533-1657cf209cfe} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{d518921a-4a03-425e-9873-b9a71756821e} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{7d5dd829-6c90-42c5-b54c-2afa82f988ba} (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{59c7fc09-1c83-4648-b3e6-003d2bbc7481} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{68af847f-6e91-45dd-9b68-d6a12c30e5d7} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{9170b96c-28d4-4626-8358-27e6caeef907} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{d1a71fa0-ff48-48dd-9b6d-7a13a3e42127} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{ddb1968e-ead6-40fd-8dae-ff14757f60c7} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{f138d901-86f0-4383-99b6-9cdd406036da} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\rhc3ojj0e5cb (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\RunDll32Policy\f3ScrCtr.dll (Adware.MyWay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Software Notifier (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SoftLand Ltd (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Schemes\f3pss (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Settings\bf (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Settings\bk (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Settings\iu (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Settings\mu (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ADP (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\&Search\ (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SalesMon (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SalesMon\Data (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\DriveCleaner Freeware (Rogue.DriveCleaner) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\DriveCleaner Freeware\Logs (Rogue.DriveCleaner) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SoftLand Ltd (Rogue.XPAntivirus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\rhc3ojj0e5cb (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\rhc3ojj0e5cb\Quarantine (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\rhc3ojj0e5cb\Quarantine\BrowserObjects (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\rhc3ojj0e5cb\Quarantine\Packages (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\rhc3ojj0e5cb\Quarantine\Autorun (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\rhc3ojj0e5cb\Quarantine\Autorun\HKCU (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\rhc3ojj0e5cb\Quarantine\Autorun\HKCU\RunOnce (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\rhc3ojj0e5cb\Quarantine\Autorun\HKLM (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\rhc3ojj0e5cb\Quarantine\Autorun\HKLM\RunOnce (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\rhc3ojj0e5cb\Quarantine\Autorun\StartMenuAllUsers (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\rhc3ojj0e5cb\Quarantine\Autorun\StartMenuCurrentUser (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\System Doctor Free (Rogue.SystemDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\System Doctor Free (Rogue.SystemDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\System Doctor Free\Logs (Rogue.SystemDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocv.dll (Trojan.BHO.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\DriveCleaner Freeware\Logs\update.log (Rogue.DriveCleaner) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Application Data\System Doctor Free\Logs\update.log (Rogue.SystemDoctor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\hosts (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

HI a couple of things to do here. First have you rebboted after the scan to remove some of the malware found?
Next you need to update the Mbam version,it is some 20 updates behind. Open the MBam app then cick the Update button. After that is compltete do another Quick scan and post the log here,thanks.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:20 PM

Your MBAM log indicates you are using an older database version. Please update to the most current one. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Then perform a new Quick Scan in normal mode as boopme instructed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 angelpc

angelpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:18 PM

Database version: 1102

8:49:00 PM 8/31/2008
mbam-log-08-31-2008 (20-48-37).txt

Objects scanned: 37787
Time elapsed: 17 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 4
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{61d5253f-e1d9-48ae-872b-c8f79eddee6b} (Trojan.BHO.H) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{61d5253f-e1d9-48ae-872b-c8f79eddee6b} (Trojan.BHO.H) -> No action taken.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Settings\bf (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Settings\bk (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Settings\iu (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Settings\mu (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocv.dll (Trojan.BHO.H) -> No action taken.

Sorry it took so long to respond.
thank you for your help.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:42 AM

Your MBAM log shows "No action taken". This usually occurs if you forget to click "Remove Selected" and instead just click "Save Logfile". Please review these instructions (scroll down), rescan again (Quick Scan) in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. After performing a new scan, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

#8 angelpc

angelpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:58 AM

Database version: 1102

9:39:05 AM 9/1/2008
mbam-log-09-01-2008 (09-38-57).txt

Objects scanned: 37894
Time elapsed: 16 minute(s), 23 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 4
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{61d5253f-e1d9-48ae-872b-c8f79eddee6b} (Trojan.BHO.H) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{61d5253f-e1d9-48ae-872b-c8f79eddee6b} (Trojan.BHO.H) -> No action taken.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Settings\bf (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Settings\bk (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Settings\iu (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Settings\mu (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocv.dll (Trojan.BHO.H) -> No action taken.

Ok I read the instructions. And I followed them again. That is what I have done several times. I am not sure if I am missing a step or what but I keep getting the same results. I delete all and then When I scanned again they where all back again?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:05 AM

MBAM has a built-in FileAssassin feature for removing stubborn malware files.
  • Go to the "More Tools" tab and click on the "Run Tool" button
  • Browse to the location of the file(s) to remove using the drop down box next to "Look in:" at the top.
    • C:\Windows\system32\shdocv.dll <- this file
  • When you find the file(s), click "Open".
  • You will be prompted with a message warning: This file will be permanently deleted. Are you sure you want to continue?. Click Yes.
  • If removal did not require a reboot, you will receive a message indicating the file was deleted successfully, however, I recommend you reboot anyway.

Caution: Be careful what you delete. FileAssassin is a powerful program, designed to move highly persistent files. Using it incorrectly could lead to serious problems with your operating system.

#10 angelpc

angelpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

MBAM has a built-in FileAssassin feature for removing stubborn malware files.
Go to the "More Tools" tab and click on the "Run Tool" button
Browse to the location of the file(s) to remove using the drop down box next to "Look in:" at the top.
C:\Windows\system32\shdocv.dll <- this file
When you find the file(s), click "Open".
You will be prompted with a message warning: This file will be permanently deleted. Are you sure you want to continue?. Click Yes.
If removal did not require a reboot, you will receive a message indicating the file was deleted successfully, however, I recommend you reboot anyway.

Ok I did what you said and it was deleted. I watched it disapear. It restarted and then I check start, explore, C:\Windows\system32\shdocv.dll and it was back. It wont go away.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

Please download IceSword and save to your desktop.
alternate site 1
alternate site 2
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called IceSword (C:\IceSword) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if your not sure how to do this.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on IceSword.exe to launch it.
    If you want to create a shortcut, right-click on IceSword.exe, choose Send to > Desktop (create shortcut) and you can run the program directly from the Desktop using the shortcut icon.
  • When the program opens, click the upside down black arrow near the bottom of the menu on the left under "Functions" and click on the BHO icon.
  • Look for a BHO/Class ID related to the .dll (shdocv.dll) you need to remove.
    (The CLSID (Class ID) is a long 128 bit number composed of a combination of letters, numbers, slashes - 3707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F)
  • Right-click (highlight) the CLSID entry to remove and choose Delete.
  • Return to the left menu and click on "File" at the bottom.
  • This will display a Windows Explorer type interface.
  • Navigate to the shdocv.dll file associated with the CLSID you noted earlier.
  • Right-click (highlight) that file and choose force Delete.
  • A message will appear "Are you sure? You'd better reboot after deleting." Click Yes.
  • Exit IceSword when done and reboot your computer.

#12 angelpc

angelpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

I can not get this to work. I click on IceSword.exe and extract (unzip) the file when I go to click on the sword application it tells me initialization failed, error code :1073741780
not sure what I am doing wrong?

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:55 PM

Disregard using it then. This infection will require the use of more powerful tools than we recommend in this forum. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a hijackthis log.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 9 there are instructions for downloading the HijackThis Installer and creating a log. This is an automatic setup version which will install the program in the proper location.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users