Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Driver Foundation Not Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Itachiitachi

Itachiitachi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:40 PM

In my device manager windows driver foundation show up with an explantion point next to it. when I go to properties it says it is stopped and when I try to start it I get
"The system encountered the following erroe while attempting to start the service
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
I think some of the files are courupted but I have no idea. I looked but I can't find anyway to reinstall it or download it. Is there a way to get it to reinstall, replace the missing files or otherwise fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:12 PM

Might help: http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget....1281623,00.html Figure B, last 2 items give some info.

More info: http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:D_6CiT...;cd=5&gl=us

I guess that I have to ask...just what did you do when you tried to start it?

And...is this XP or Vista?

Louis

#3 Itachiitachi

Itachiitachi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

This is xp pro version 2002 on service pack 3. I was having usb trouble and to fix that I was told to make sure that windows driver foundation was running. I went to device manager found it went to its properties saw that it was stopped tried to start it and got that error. I don't think WFD(windows driver foundation) uses drivers (as there is no option to uninstall/update drivers)
I tried the steps in http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget....1281623,00.html but it all looked good( but I don't know what I am looking for). But when I did NET START WudfRd I the same error as when I try to start WFD it is "error 123 filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
Thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

Are you developing drivers using this system?

Windows Driver Foundation (WDF) is a set of Microsoft tools that aid in the creation of device drivers for Windows 2000 and later versions of Windows

There's no such thing in the device manager for my XP SP3 VM. I'd suggest uninstalling it and then rebooting to see if Windows will fix it on it's own. If not, then you'd have to reinstall it (I'd suggest removing it first).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Itachiitachi

Itachiitachi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:05 PM

In order to see it you must show hidden devices and add some other variable(I don't remember what it is I'm trying to follow a guide to get my usb connection working properly). I believe WDF deals with the use of the usb. I get the same error when I try to use my usb as when I try to start WDF. I'm not sure If I will be able to reinstall it if I uninstall it. I don't have any install files for it nor have I been able to find any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users