Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freeze Requires Manual Reboot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chadoww

chadoww

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hello Everyone,

Here lately my Windows XP system has been freezing randomly aup to five times a day. It requires a manual reboot with me holding the power button in for 5 seconds.

I use Trend Micro Internet security for spyware, virus protection etc. It has been very reliable the past few years and I rarely have problems with my computer. However, this is one problem that I haven't yet been able to solve.

If there is anyone out there that could assist me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Error messages in Event Viewer...that are relevant?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 chadoww

chadoww
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:14 PM

I looked in event viewer and there are a couple of errors but they aren't consistent with when the computer has froze. It has frozen a few times today and there aren't any errors for today or the past couple.

There is an error stating application hang that occurred a few days ago, and also one in the system tab from the source Service Control Manager.

Do you think these errors could have anything to do with the freezing?

Thanks for the quick response!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

No, I don't think those errors are significant.

Application hang errors are, in my experience, tied to particular apps. What I mean is...once I get one, I know that I will always get them in that particular application, lacking any updates or revisions. I don't worry about those.

Service Control Manager items on my system are generally info items, not errors.

But...periodic freezing accompanied by no error message...tends to create images of overheating in my mind.

The Heatsink Guide - All about PC cooling - http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?...t=maxtemp.shtml

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

Louis

#5 chadoww

chadoww
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

I have no clue why I didn't think about this, but I have had this computer for 5 years and I have never dusted it out! I guess since I have never encountered this type of problem I never really thought about it.

Well, I dusted out the inside. There was a lot of dust around the exhaust fan which could prevent some of the hot air from dissipating. I am guessing this was the culprit. If this doesn't work I will probably try moving the case outside my desk on the floor for better ventilation.The case is inside of a cabinet on the side of my desk which appears to be made for a case. If THAT doesn't work I will probably look at replacing the fans.

Thanks a lot for your help! I will let you know if I still encounter the same problem after trying the aforementioned steps.

:thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

Keep us posted :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 chadoww

chadoww
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:09 PM

Well, it's been a couple days.....no freezing.

Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users