Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On Boot Malady

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NickD

NickD

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

When I boot, after screen and all icons appear, the mouse remains frozen until I hit a key on the keyboard (I usually use the shift key as it seems least likely to do damage, but any key seems to work). The keyboard is always fully functional. I have had this problem before, and then, inexplicably, the problem disappears. Usually this problem appears after a system change (an install of software) and disappears after the same thing. But the intervals between changes last months. And not every install, or system change creates this change. I do not any special software or hardware configurations, just an A8N-E Asus motherboard with an AMD processor. The keyboard and mouse are connected via PS/2 connectors. This freeze also occurs after a mode change from Standby or Hibernation. The mouse is a Logitech light driver device; the keyboard a standard 101 generic variety. Driver re-installs of both mouse of keyboard have no effect.

I suspect some key in the registry is responsible for this, but I would not know where to start looking or for what. If you have an idea, I am willing to give it a try. Thank you for reading.

NickD

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

This freeze also occurs after a mode change from Standby or Hibernation.

As strange as it sounds, a corrupt video driver can play games with standby and hibernation
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users