Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WONT BOOT!@!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shibby

Shibby

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 31 July 2004 - 06:29 PM

Ok, i installed service pack 2 RC2 and when it was half way through it had an error. So i shut it off and rebooted. When i rebooted it wouldnt boot. It has like 800x600 res. and it just sits on the loading screen for about 5 min. then when i get on it say Explore.exe has failed when i press ok. It just basicly forzen but i can go into alt ctl del. I made a restore point before i started install. Any HELP!. Or should i take it in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 July 2004 - 06:40 PM

Dont freak out Shibby :thumbsup: . Your going to have to do a repair installtion if you want to save your data. SP2 still has bugs in it and it did the exact thing to me the first time I installed it. But the second time all went great is very stable. But anyway stick in your xp cd ...reboot...let it go through the motions and when it get to where it ask's you what you want to do.Click Repair on your xp drive. And everything will be still be on your hard drive. Although after you do this I suggest saving all your stuff onto a disc or another drive and totlley reformatting because repairing will cause problems later(having xp stacked ontop of itself). Never ever stop a service pack instalaton in progress. But you said it had an error. Next time just go into add remove programs and remove it first and redownload before rebooting!

#3 Shibby

Shibby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2004 - 06:43 PM

It funny, i just reformated the boot drive cause i installed another drive and partitioned it then transfared data then partitioned boot drive and reinstalled. But thank you. I will try that.

#4 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 July 2004 - 06:45 PM

its really the only way! explorer.exe is needed. But dont format this time just let it do the repiar if you have anything important of the drive! If not then just reformat the C drive again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users