Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Trojans Transfer To Usb Pen Drive?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 awestruck

awestruck

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:01 AM

A friend's Windows XP computer had Trojans, her anti-virus was disabled by the Trojans. I used my pen drive to install AVG so that I could scan and remove the Trojans. The Trojans prevented AVG from opening, so I loaded AVAST from my pen drive. It found and quarantined 3 Trojans. Shortly afterwards the computer became inaccesible i.e. the Start button, and the programs would not function.
The only solution was to reinstall Windows XP SP2 from the CD and reinstall all the programs.
Then I loaded AVG from my USB pen drive. All worked well until next day when the computer would only load as far as the wallpaper. I suspected that a Trojan had leapt from the computer to the pen drive as the failure to completely load Windows was similar to the original problem. I did find a Trojan on my pen drive and removed it. Can you confirm that a Trojan can be copied from an infected computer to a USB pen drive when installing files from the pen drive?
Regards
Awestruck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,071 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:14 AM

Yes this can happen. Our work computers went down several months ago due to this.
It's a problem when you have the devices autorun "something" when inserted - that "something" can easily be a virus

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 awestruck

awestruck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:26 AM

Hello usasma

Thank you for the very prompt reply. Perhaps the only safe way for me to install programs like AVG and SpyBot S&D onto a client's computer is to copy the files from a clean computer to a CD. Then use the CD instead of my USB pen drive.
Regards
Awestruck

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:56 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=924871

you might want to look at some of these threads
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,071 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:02 AM

Make the flash drive read-only and you won't have the problem with other people's PC's
Only remove the read-only attribute when you want to change something on the flash drive - and then remember to change it back to read-only before you use it.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

Make sure the flashdrive write protection is secure, ie password required to make writeable. In theory, a flash drive write-protected by just having the write-protect attribute set can simply be toggled to writeable by malware, although it's probably unknown if much or any malware is smart enough to do this. A (finalised) CD is still the safest way, as it can't be written to.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:19 AM

A (finalised) CD is still the safest way

yet another reason to avoid packet writting software/drivers?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:04 AM

So long since I've used an RW or the crashy conflicting drivers that I didn't think of that!

RW disks seemed like a great idea, until they proved so troublesome. Last few weeks I've been clearing out old stuff - the couple of old RW disks I've found no longer have any of their contents.

#9 awestruck

awestruck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:46 AM

Thank you usasma, Dachew and platypus,

Iwill use a finalised CD in future. Once upon a time USB pen drives were available with a side switch which turned read-only on and off. I can't find one now. The threads you suggested were an eye opener. So many folk had the same problem of Trojans leaping onto their pendrive. I would never put important data on an RW. One of my clients was having problems keeping files on an RW, I asked him to do a trial backup with two of his RWs and two CD-Rs. The data vanished on the RWs in less than week but on the the CDs the files are still present after two years.
He binned his box of RWs.
Thanks again
Awestruck

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

Virus Infects Space Station Laptops

"The virus did make it onto more than one laptop -- suggesting that it spread via some sort of intranet on the space station or via a thumb drive."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users