Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Limit A User Account To Internet Browsing Only

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie

Yorkie

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:09 AM

Hi,

I have a laptop which other people use now and again. I have set up a limited user account (my operating system is xp sp3) but wanted to know if it is possible to limit this account further so people using it can only access the desktop and not "My Computer" and the "Start" menu etc.

Ideally I just want people using it to only be able to access the internet through either Firefox or IE.

Has anyone any ideas?

Is there any free software that will make it easier to do as I've heard that there is Public PC Desktop software but most of them seem not to be free?

Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reelkill

reelkill

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:18 PM

Well this should help a little.

Setting up user accounts.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...accounts.mspx#1

Then make some folders private (Read this throughly so you understand how the accounts work)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930987

There are also ways to encrypt folders so they need a password by using winzip or a utility like Kurptos 2 or AxCrypt. There are also other software programs that you can purchase.

These programs will only partially do what I think it is you want. You could always set up another partition with another operating system, but I think you might be satisfied with just running seperate user accounts.

reelkill.filetap.com
shaunthorpe.blogspot.com

#3 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:25 PM

Thanks, but I have already done these things.

What I really would like to do is limit this account so people using it can only access the desktop and not "My Computer" and the "Start" menu etc. and I just want people using it to only be able to access the internet through either Firefox or IE.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:11 PM

There are many ways to do this - but most of them depend on the user not knowing how to get around them.

The easiest way is to create a shortcut with the target of "iexplore -k" - then insert that shortcut into that account's startup folder.
The only easy way to close that browser window is by using the Alt + F4 key combination - or by Ctrl-Alt-Del and ending the iexplore process.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:32 AM

I'd do some research on "Kiosks". also there are tweaks programs that can customize windows to remove features and menus and control panels and stuff. You just have to use them on just the kiosk account and not on the other accounts.

#6 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:58 AM

There are many ways to do this - but most of them depend on the user not knowing how to get around them.

The easiest way is to create a shortcut with the target of "iexplore -k" - then insert that shortcut into that account's startup folder.
The only easy way to close that browser window is by using the Alt + F4 key combination - or by Ctrl-Alt-Del and ending the iexplore process.

I tried the "iexplore -k" option but Windows did not recognise it and returned an error message.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:08 PM

Windows Steady State

#8 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

Thanks a lot cryptodan.

I will have a proper look at it tomorrow but it sound like it could do the job and it appears that it's free which is a bonus.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

Thanks a lot cryptodan.

I will have a proper look at it tomorrow but it sound like it could do the job and it appears that it's free which is a bonus.

Happy lockin down your system.

#10 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:24 PM

I have Windows Steady State installed and it does exactly what I wanted. It is easy to use and to be honest I can't believe this is not part of the standard Windows XP set-up as it is good for any computer set-up both at home and for internet cafe's, business etc.

Thanks again cryptodan it was a great find on your part.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:31 PM

I have Windows Steady State installed and it does exactly what I wanted. It is easy to use and to be honest I can't believe this is not part of the standard Windows XP set-up as it is good for any computer set-up both at home and for internet cafe's, business etc.

Thanks again cryptodan it was a great find on your part.

You are welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users