Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Sure If This Is Hardware Or Not

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 malware_terminator

malware_terminator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:29 PM

I've had this unbelievable problem with a friend's computer that I've never seen before. She had a ton of viruses on it and when she tried to open up a program she would get a message saying: "Confirm Shortcut Delete" and instructions on how to properly remove a program. If she hits cancel, the Confirm Shortcut Delete box does not go away. If she hits Delete Shortcut another box opens up saying: "Error Deleting File or Folder" Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." But it deletes the shortcut into the Recycle Bin.

So I tried going to properties in the recycle bin and unchecking the "Display delete confirmation dialog." But then only the "Error Deleting File or Folder" message would appear. I figured it was a virus issue so I reformatted the hard drive even using D-Ban. However after downloading and installing SP2 and SP3 the same thing is happening again. I have found nothing about this anywhere on the internet.

I know this sounds like a software issue but since I've now reformatted the Hard Drive 3 times and continue to get the same error messages I'm wondering if it could be something else. I tested the memory with MemTest86 and it showed I had bad memory. However when I tested each 256mb stick separately MemTest showed nothing. I'm completely baffled.

Has anyone heard of or seen anything like this and if so what do I need to do to correct the problem??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:08 AM

Well, this looks same like with me..,After that, reformated drive and boot WinXP from windows CD, installed it..go to sp3 download and try running any app...all worked ooh yes, you have an hardware problem too-HDD is not error free(after malware this almost always happens) Try this:If you have local disk C:/ then right click on it, choose properties,tools(tab2) and check now[error checking]

#3 malware_terminator

malware_terminator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

Nope, that did not work. I even used the recovery console from the XP disk. Any other ideas??

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:53 PM

When you ran Memtest on the individual sticks of RAM, did you run it, individual sticks on both slots, or individual sticks in only one slot?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

Try creating one more account..Sound stupid, but try(and use created)

Edited by ~PrEmIuM~, 08 September 2008 - 11:45 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:04 AM

If the two sticks are not identical...there could be timing differences between them that could impact the system when together.

Generally, in my limited experience, RAM problems result in symptoms which are more consequential (BSODs, inability to install O/S, other unexpected, atypical phenomena).

Just to clarify: You did delete everything on the drive...before you "formatted" and created a new partition, right?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users