Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Keeps Deleting My Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 malware_terminator

malware_terminator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:45 PM

Hello all,

I actually posted this last night but this morning I thought it was a memory issue and I thought I'd fixed it. However, after reformatting the hard drive for the 3rd time I'm still getting the same issue. Below is my original problem.

I've had this unbelievable problem with a friend's computer that I've never seen before. She had a ton of viruses on it and when she tried to open up a program she would get a message saying: "Confirm Shortcut Delete" and instructions on how to properly remove a program. If she hits cancel, the Confirm Shortcut Delete box does not go away. If she hits Delete Shortcut another box opens up saying: "Error Deleting File or Folder" Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." But it deletes the shortcut into the Recycle Bin.

So I tried going to properties in the recycle bin and unchecking the "Display delete confirmation dialog." But then only the "Error Deleting File or Folder" message would appear. I figured it was a virus issue so I reformatted the hard drive even using D-Ban. However after downloading and installing SP2 and SP3 the same thing is happening again. I have found nothing about this anywhere on the internet.

Has anyone heard of or seen this and if so what do I need to do to correct the problem?? It's not a memory problem either.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

Hello Robert,

That is a strange problem. What AV and firewall are you using?

The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Locate the copy to clipboard button, Posted Image (under the two arrows)
7. Let us know what you find. (paste the results)

I would run some free online virus scanners.

1.Eset
2.Kaspersky
3.Bitdefender
4.Panda
5.McAfee
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users