Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid Mirroring

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maceman

Maceman

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:00 PM

I installed 2 SATA hard drives today, set them up for RAID mirroring, then formatted them.

I see both drives in My Computer, but when I put files on one of the drives, they aren't being put on the other drive.

Did I do something wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

I don't think you set up the RAID correctly...I don't believe that you should be able to see both drives, since my understanding of a RAID 0 or RAID 1...is that 2 drives are seen as one under each circumstance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:Laa7rP...cd=10&gl=us

Louis

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:53 AM

RAID 1 is not supported by Windows XP.

You would need your MOTHERBOARD to support RAID 1. I have an ASUS 4P4 800 E-Deluxe and this board supports RAID 1. It has Promise Technology drivers that load and actually show you whether the Mirror is functional or not.

If you have Server 2000 or 2003 (or 2008), they all support RAID volumes. To set up a mirror in Server 2003, you need to go into Disk Management and right click the drive that you wish to mirror.

HOWEVER, if you have a server, you would most likely have a SCSI control card that will set up your RAID for you, separate from the windows system.
Any RAID configuration that is done with hardware will show only 1 disk in Disk Management. If you do it via the Windows Server operating system, you will see ALL of the drives.

set them up for RAID mirroring,

What exactly do you mean by that?

Good luck.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 31 August 2008 - 09:55 AM.

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

Hi Maceman

As riqacci has already said, you need to have a motherboard with an onboard RAID controller on it.
If you have this, you will need to enable RAID and set it up in your BIOS.
The alternative is to buy a RAID PCI card.

:thumbsup:

Edited by SLIX, 31 August 2008 - 10:57 AM.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users