Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid ActiveX/com entries

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:12 PM

Hello,
This is my first time on this site and I appreciate any help you can give me. My problem is that when I run WINDOCTOR, it notes 10 Invalid Active X/com entries. All say "missing or invalid key or icon. WINDOCTOR says that they are repaired but they are still there. The 10 problems are:
AWFFile\DefaultIcon
COLFile\DefaultIcon
ELMFile\DefaultIcon
FFAFile\DefaultIcon
FFTFile\DefaultIcon
FFLFile\DefaultIcon
FFXFile\DefaultIcon
OPCFile\DefaultIcon
STPFile\DefaultIcon

And there is also one that says:
CLSID\{E5E72896-7B5E-4723-A704-4558A3F741A8\Local Server 32 refers to missing file "blank"

Thanks for any help and/or advice.
Nancy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:53 PM

Hi Nancy and welcome to BC

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options>Settings>View Objects. You will likely find those items there. You can safely delete anything in there. Certainly you want to delete any that say corrupted or invalid or anything other than Installed. These are ActiveX controls that are downloaded to run games, anti virus and spyware scanners, update tools etc. Anything you delete will be replaced when needed again by visiting the site where you got them. This is also a favourite way for spyware to get into your computer.

The CLSID is a registry entry. Download and install CCleaner. Go to the Issues tab and scan for issues. The list that comes up will be invalid registry entries. Go through the list and find the key that you want to remove, check it and click Fix Selected Issues. You can safely remove all these entries if you wish. If you do, when prompted, be sure to make a backup and note where you save it to and what you call it so it can be restored if neccessary. You will also find your ActiveX/Com Issues here.

Edited by Leurgy, 22 April 2005 - 03:59 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users