Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chicago

Chicago

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:49 PM

Hi - New boy

My 'My Documents ' file is very slow loading - takes 2 minutes!

I am about to try the restore system but I have been told that if you have Norton Anti Virus installed using 'System Restore' causes problems.

Anyone know if this is true? Or does anyone have the answer to my slow loading problem?

Grateful for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:02 PM

I doubt if using System Restore will improve the loading performance at all, since SR does not touch such files. Running scandisk and defragging could improve your performance, especially if you do a lot of adding, deleting, and modifying the various files in My Documents. Again, you may want to use this opportunity to delete old or unneeded files or store some of them to disk rather than maintain them on your hard drive before running these.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:49 PM

Try running CCleaner or Toni Art's EasyCleaner. These programs remove all the junk temp files on your system that need to be waded through during boot up and when opening folders.

Edited by Leurgy, 23 April 2005 - 05:33 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 xposemncz

xposemncz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

Hi,

System Restore will only be a temp solution.
Try to Run a Scan using Updated AntiVirus, Anti-Spyware.
If possible post a Hijack This Log in the HJT forum.

Regards,
XposeMncz

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:14 PM

I have been told that if you have Norton Anti Virus installed using 'System Restore' causes problems.

I would say as a blanket statement, that is false. I haven't run Norton since 2003, but when I did use it System Restore worked fine.

Norton doesn't agree with some systems, especially Norton Internet Security that includes a firewall and other security tools so something may have changed, but if everyone had a problem with System Restore because of Norton I think we would have heard about it.

I agree that SR will not likely help with your problem, although it won't hurt. Try doing basic maintenance as already suggested first. Before you download anything, use what is available on XP. Do the basic maintenance that consists of:

Disk Cleanup
Error checking (Check Disk, that will examine your hard drive for problems)
Defragmentation

Do those in the order listed. All these tools can be accessed form your hard drive's properties:

Click My Computer, right click your hard drive's icon and select Properties. Disk Cleanup will be under the General tab and while you're there you can see how much space you have on your hard drive. If it's almost full that could explain your problem and the clean up should free up some of that space when done.

Then do an Error Check and lastly a defragmentation that are found on the Tools tab of the hard drive's properties.

If that doesn't help, you may need to check for spyware/malware as already suggested. See this tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Und...lers-tut41.html

If you feel you need to use HijackThis for some stubborn malware, or just for a check up (which I recommend), see this tutorial:
How to submit a Hijackthis Log

Otherwise it is hard to tell what the problem might be from your description. Are you saying that this slowness only happens when you click on the My Documents icon in your Start Menu? What about opening programs or other folders? Did this happen suddenly or come on gradually? The more details you can give the better we can help you.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:36 PM

How many files do you have in My Documents?

I agree with Papakid - you might certainly need to defragment your hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users