Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bsod Just After Login

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldkrow2008

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

So on Sunday I will be working on my friends computer which has gotten the dreaded BSOD. I already have done some preliminary work but time was limited that night. I am going to be doing this procedure:
Windows XP Crashed

Here are a few things you should know. It is XP Pro w/ sp2. It has ONLY a 256 stick of Ram. (Yes, you read that right.) It is Stable in Safe Mode but not in any other config, not even safe mode with Networking.

What it does is loads to about a minute into the XP logo and reboots after splashing the Blue Screen Code, which I had him fetch the code to do research on.

I did a few things first when I dropped by. I installed the recovery Console and did chkdsk /r to no avail and even rebuilt the boot.ini by deleting it and doing a fresh rebuild w/ fixboot. Also this did not fix the issue. I also tried a restore to June, before the problem. This also did not fix it, but I didn't think it would. I'm just going down the list of easy fixes before I dive into the more complicated possibilities.

So there isn't much to the system. It's about four years old, I have not looked at the full specs yet or opened it up so those details are not available. I think the vid is an on board vid. So stripping down and placing things back in to see what is the issue will not help much because I don't have extra ram to take the place and the vid can't be removed. Basically it is bare.

So here our my thoughts. It might be a power issue because it did turn off twice while in the console on different days, which was weird. Once while I was doing the chkdsk /r and once I was doing the boot.ini rebuild. Which turned out ugly for a few minutes. Both were able to be completed later but still, that was weird.

It could be a ram problem. Here is one of my questions: Could lack of ram be making XP unstable. They were having no problems before but maybe he tried installing a program that took a lot of resources and that driver loads in and then takes the available resources leaving nothing for the important xp components and then it blue screens and reboots before the other driver gives any resources back. Is that possible?

If it is a power issue, it might be stable in Safe Mode only because their might be drivers loading that need more juice when loading into Normal Mode, I say this because it is very stable in Safe Mode, they can keep it running in Safe Mode all day and night if they wanted. This also should rules out overheating plus the fan works

I think it is odd that safe Mode with Networking isn't stable enough to run which leads me to think it could be virus related. I haven't done a HJT log yet but I'm not sure if the problem would show up, if I'm scanning in Safe mode. After all what ever the problem is is not loading up in Safe mode.

So any thoughts of steps I can take before I continue forward with the XP start up rebuild? I still keep thinking about the Ram. The ram could be bad.

A couple of other questions Where can I get a good program that testes the output of Ram and also a program that lists all the specs of the computer like, mother board, CPU, video card, etc. I know I can dig in and find it by going to hardware but I recall a prog that would do it for you?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wongy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

I don't think its lack of RAM. My father runs XP on a 64MB RAM Laptop =].

#3 oldkrow2008

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

okay, yeah, that's not much Ram, but could it be an issue if someone installed something that called up resources before the major XP components were loaded?

#4 hamluis

• 55,040 posts
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

It's hard to comment on a BSOD...without the exact error message.

If I just overlooked same, chalk it up to my inability to concentrate :thumbsup:.

#5 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,085 posts
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:33 PM

Memory test (bootable)(free): http://www.memtest86.com/
Hard drive test (bootable)(free): visit the support website of the hard drive manufacturer
System specs tool (free)(pick the standalone/zip file for portability): http://www.gtopala.com/index.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users