Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Upgrade My Pc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerNewb

ComputerNewb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

Hello I need to upgrade my graphics card and Im really unsure on which one I should get!

RAM: 2048 (2038 now because the current GPU uses some ram)
Processor: Intel Celeron D CPU 3.33Ghz
Graphics: Intel :thumbsup:

So yeah I need an upgrade on the graphics. Can anyone help me out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:15 PM

I would go with nvidia stuff. Make sure you get the right type of card (eg: pci express or pci or agp)

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 vi3tx13oy

vi3tx13oy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

it depends, if you're a hardcore gamer the i think you should go for an 8800 or more. me i play games once in while and do some photo editing and stuff and i went with an 8600. remember if you're getting a really good video card, you will also need a good psu to suport it

#4 ComputerNewb

ComputerNewb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:52 PM

I'd prefer an Nvidia card, but just recently I learned that certain cards need certain Power supply units... Any help? :thumbsup:

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

What is the make and model of your computer? you'll get a more definite answer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 ComputerNewb

ComputerNewb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

This might be of use!

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T3604

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

You do have a pci expressx16 slot to put a graphics card in. There are a few problems I see though:

1. The power supply is most likely cheap. If you want to get a higher end graphics card, you'll need a new power supply.

2. Cards with dual-slot coolers or large heatsink fans, as well as cards that are very long may not fit very well in your case.

3. A celeron processor is really going to bottleneck most any modern graphics card you get. I had an older ATI X1900gt from 2006, and my Pentium 4 processor really bottlenecked it down. Once I got a core 2 duo processor, I could turn the graphic settings up higher in all of my games and I would have less lag.

If you really want to play games, you're looking at at least $300 worth of upgrades. If you're not planning on playing newer games though, you may be able to settle with the celeron processor.

I have a question for everyone, but it's on topic. According to the Intel website, the 945g chipset supports Celeron, Pentium 4, Pentium D, and Core 2 Duo processors, at 533mhz, 800mhz, and 1066mhz fsb. Does this mean all motherboards with this chipset support these processors?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:35 AM

You do have a pci expressx16 slot to put a graphics card in. There are a few problems I see though:

1. The power supply is most likely cheap. If you want to get a higher end graphics card, you'll need a new power supply.

2. Cards with dual-slot coolers or large heatsink fans, as well as cards that are very long may not fit very well in your case.

3. A celeron processor is really going to bottleneck most any modern graphics card you get. I had an older ATI X1900gt from 2006, and my Pentium 4 processor really bottlenecked it down. Once I got a core 2 duo processor, I could turn the graphic settings up higher in all of my games and I would have less lag.

If you really want to play games, you're looking at at least $300 worth of upgrades. If you're not planning on playing newer games though, you may be able to settle with the celeron processor.

I have a question for everyone, but it's on topic. According to the Intel website, the 945g chipset supports Celeron, Pentium 4, Pentium D, and Core 2 Duo processors, at 533mhz, 800mhz, and 1066mhz fsb. Does this mean all motherboards with this chipset support these processors?

Didn't search thoroughly, but here is the product sheet for the chipset: http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Chip...5G-overview.htm
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

Yes, that's where I'm getting my information from. I suppose all Intel 945g chipsets support those processors, but the motherboard's bios may not. If it does, then he should look into getting at least a lower end core 2 duo for better gaming performance.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users