Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Computer :(

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 d3k0y

d3k0y

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:17 PM

Ok so I will try to explain precisely what has happened but it is possible that there is more than one problem. My computer started acting up about one week ago. No hardware changes have been made, minimal software changes have been made. I bought a couple of games. While playing them, it seems as though the video card crashed every 5 minutes - the screen would freeze,the audio would skip, then the screen would go black for about 10 seconds, then the game would restart. Once I exited to to the desktop there would be a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the taskbar icons (I read somewhere that this is a video card crash). But then the problems got much worse. At first, I would leave the computer alone for a while and come back and it would waken from hibernation. Upon reboot, the computer would post but not enter the OS (Vista 64). The RAID array appeared to have a problem - what is usually marked as three "WDC....2500 232GB" drives was marked as two "WDC...2500 232GB" and one "ROM MODEL HAWK 7GB" and the next screen would say Error Loading Operating System. One of the hard drives also makes an occasional clicking sound which made me think it is the hard drive. When I rebooted several times, it would finally enter the OS and work fine...until it happened again. I would reboot and it would be fine. Now, it cant even get past the initial boot up screen which makes me think it is not the hard drive. The computer will post, but I cant enter the BIOS setting, boot screen or do anything...the screen just names the processor and MoBo and sticks.

Any idea of what this could be? I seems to be systemic so is it the MoBo or power supply? Thanks a lot. Also, if I lose the motherboard, can I rebuild the array using a different motherboard to get my data back?

Thanks again.

d3k0y :thumbsup:
"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?'"

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici..."

"Not much really" - Sidis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

It sounds like it might be your video card. You should get a spare, cheap card for testing.

As far as your RAID array, you would be able to rebuild if you could duplicate the motherboard, as there are particular drivers that are loaded and I believe Vista to be more quirky than 2000 or XP.

Just an FYI, I am guessing that you want the RAID5 for the extra speed during gaming? A RAID1 would provide redundancy. I realize you have that with a RAID5 but in your case, it is not just hiccuping, that thing is burping!

Good luck

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users