Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft AntiSpyware

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Miriam

Miriam

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:56 PM

Microsft Antispyware wont update because it can't connect to the internet. (Earhlink) dial up. I was told to find my answer on"Bleeping Computer", I understood that I needed LSP.Fix, but then when I started to download it, it said it should only be used by advanced computer user. That scared me because I am not advanced.

After that I got a pop-up that said ELNKPath.dll, MfuServ.dll., because this looked like what was going to be downloaded from "BLEEPING COMPUTER", I agreed to it. The antiSpyware still won't update & I don't know what I agreed to. I can't find it on my computer. I ran a file search of .dll extentions & there are a blue million of them. Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

Hi Miriam,

I think the best course of action is to do the following:

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis Download Site

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post in the HighjackThis forum and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware

When you post, please include any information about what you have done to this point. Any info will help them to help you.

What this will do is to put you in direct contact with the experts that fix malware/spyware/adware problems. I want to assure you that any file on this forum is clean, and has been used by many people. I have them myself. You will need the LSP file.

Being attacked by the unethical people of the internet just plain (insert your favorite adjective here). Give these folks a chance and I promise you will not be disappointed. One note about the HJT team. They have many logs to review so please be patient.

Best wishes and good luck,

Rigel

PS... May I ask who recommended Bleeping Computer, and what instructions have they given you to this point?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

Did the Microsoft program download and just not update?

If so - run it anyway.

#4 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for your response Entusiest: I did not make myself clear in my post. I have never downloaded anything from Bleeping Computer, this was a pop up that I assumed was from MicraSoft, but because it had ELNKPath.dll, I thought perhaps it was from Earthlink(bedcause of the ELNK).

The extension .dll made me think it was the same thing that I had seen on Bleeping Computer (which I didn't down load, because it said It was only to be used by advanced computer user) so I just clicked OK.

I have had MicroSoftAntiSpyware for about a month, it has always updated, until recently. Just says "Warning, could not connect to the Internet".

#5 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for your response Regal. I copied your response to Microsft Word.
Hope you can bear with my lack of knowledge, I don't know how to create a directory on my hardrive. Nor do I know how to back up restore features. I can C&P as you can see below. I know many things, but there is much more that I don't know. The more I learn the more I see that there is much more to learn.

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:46 AM

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe.

A directory, is just another name for a folder.
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.

Edited by tg1911, 23 April 2005 - 10:47 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:28 PM

Thanks tg911. I can do that.

#8 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:34 PM

A directory, is just another name for a folder.
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.

Just want to make sure I done this first step right before proceeding. I clicked "my computer" Double clicked "localdisk (c:) clicked "make new folder" on the right side. Named folder -- HijackThis. Please verify that this is right or wrong.

Thanks - Miriam

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:04 PM

Sounds good to me.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:14 PM

Double clicked "localdisk (c:) clicked "make new folder" on the right side. Named folder -- HijackThis. Please verify that this is right or wrong.

That's probably right. When I want to do something like that, I click the Windows Key and the E key at the same time, which opens up Windows Explorer. Then I find the C: drive on the left side and click once to highlight it. Then, as you said, on the right pane, you'll see your folders. Right-click in an empty space between or beside the folders and do the new folder thing.

You should then be able to see your folder on the left pane by expanding when you click on the plus sign next to C:.

Then, you extract HijackThis! into the new folder you made. If it's on your desktop or wherever you downloaded it, right-click and then click on "extract all." then in the resulting dialog box, click on the new folder you made and you'll see it "open." Click on the checkbox that asks if you want to view the contents of the new folder and it will open and you'll be able to run HijackThis! Remember, don't try to fix anything yourself. Just post it in the Hijack This section and wait for some help.

#11 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:07 PM

Ok. I Downloaded HighjackThis.zip & saved it in the HighjackThis folder. It said download to C:\HijackThis\HighjackThis.Zip

Download complete

Open Open Folder Close. These are the 3 options it is giving me. I don't see a config. button, so I assume that I must choose one of the 3 options above. I don't know which one. So I am stuck until someone advises me. Please! hopefully someone will get back with me tonight. I don't want to make the wrong choice.

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:23 PM

open with, and then choose compressed(zipped) folders.

the new window will show the files, but look to the left, and choose Extract

then you are using it the right way, extract to the folder you made by choosing to browse for that location. and once that is done, go to that folder and click on the "application" icon and you are off and running.

choose to scan and save log,
and each time you do any of these things, simply close the window that will be "behind" the present one, so you are working with just one window at a time, for good practice.

Once you have the notepad with the log, choose "edit" at the top, it'll highlight all the text, then either right-click in the text and choose "copy" or go back to "edit" and choose copy.

either way, you can then come back here, and open a new topic in the Hijack This logs and analysis forum and right-click "paste" and your log with be ready to post, add a few typed words of explanation if you like and preview if you want to see it first, or just add reply button at the bottom.

then you can go to the main page of the discussions, and try View new posts" and see your post at the top of the list.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#13 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

open with, and then choose compressed(zipped) folders.

the new window will show the files, but look to the left, and choose Extract

then you are using it the right way, extract to the folder you made by choosing to browse for that location. and once that is done, go to that folder and click on the "application" icon and you are off and running.

choose to scan and save log,
and each time you do any of these things, simply close the window that will be "behind" the present one, so you are working with just one window at a time, for good practice.

Once you have the notepad with the log, choose "edit" at the top, it'll highlight all the text, then either right-click in the text and choose "copy" or go back to "edit" and choose copy.

either way, you can then come back here, and open a new topic in the Hijack This logs and analysis forum and right-click "paste" and your log with be ready to post, add a few typed words of explanation if you like and preview if you want to see it first, or just add reply button at the bottom.

then you can go to the main page of the discussions, and try View new posts" and see your post at the top of the list.

"Open with??????" That is not a choice. I have to choose "Open" or "Open Folder" or "Close". Which one do I choose?

What is the difference in "add reply" at the bottom of a post & "Quote" at the top right of a post on here?

#14 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:15 PM

Hi Miriam,

I think the best course of action is to do the following:

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis Download Site

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post in the HighjackThis forum and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware

When you post, please include any information about what you have done to this point. Any info will help them to help you.

What this will do is to put you in direct contact with the experts that fix malware/spyware/adware problems. I want to assure you that any file on this forum is clean, and has been used by many people. I have them myself. You will need the LSP file.

Being attacked by the unethical people of the internet just plain (insert your favorite adjective here). Give these folks a chance and I promise you will not be disappointed. One note about the HJT team. They have many logs to review so please be patient.

Best wishes and good luck,

Rigel

PS... May I ask who recommended Bleeping Computer, and what instructions have they given you to this point?

Rigel: GreyWolf from Teck on the Myway board recommended Bleeping computer. When someone needs help he posts this web site. And all you have to do is click on it & it sends you to the right place. Miriam

#15 Miriam

Miriam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:40 PM

Hi: I am still waiting for instruction on what to do next.

My down load on HighJack This is complete . I have to choose "Open" or "Open File" or "Close". Which one? I assume I will then find the button to "Config".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users