Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Folders Won't Open

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fixit-please

fixit-please

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:57 AM

G'Day...
The OS is Vista using MacAfee full suite. Scans show nothing.

About a week ago all of the 'common folders' (My this, My that, Application Data, Cookies, etc.) became shortcuts and, when clicked, showing 'Access Denied'. When viewing the 'Security' tab in properties, the entry 'Everyone' showed up as first entry. On many of the folders in the first level under my name under Desktop, I can edit the permissions and delete the entry 'everyone'. Then I can access the folder.

If I open the Application Data folder on successive levels, another - identical folder set opens up - I quit after 13 levels.

Recommendations, please?

Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:29 PM

Hello I'm going to delete the clear MBam scans and move you from the Infected to the Vista forum and see what they say.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:53 AM

Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried removing the McAfee software (using their free tool here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx...083&lc=1033 ) to see if that fixes it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 fixit-please

fixit-please
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

Removed McAfee as directed with no change. Most 'common' folders show as shortcuts and I'm still denied access to c:\Documents and Settings.

see attached Pic of error

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

On Vista the Documents and Settings folder isn't a folder - it's actually a "Junction point" that's used to provide compatibility with older applications that require a Documents and Settings folder to operate. This also applies to a bunch of other folders.

So, when a program goes looking for the Documents and Settings folder, it is transparently re-directed to the Users folder in Vista. (The picture made it clear that this was a junction point issue).

They look very similar to shortcuts when viewed in Windows Explorer - but if you check the Properties they won't report the shortcut association.

More information on Junction Points can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point

Edited by usasma, 30 August 2008 - 11:12 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 fixit-please

fixit-please
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:16 PM

Junction Points acknowledged.

The issue is SOMETHING changed many normally used 'folders' to shortcuts several days ago and I was denied access to them.
I edited the permissions on many of them (see first post in the string) and am able to work - somewhat - normally.

How can I undo the shortcut ?association? and open the 'documents and settings' to normal access?

TIA

Ed

Attached Files

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

You can't access Documents and Settings because it doesn't exist. It's just a pointer (in this case) to the Users folder (where the profiles are kept in Vista). You can delete them if you'd like - but that'd cause problems if you ever installed a program that was looking for Documents and Settings.

From your screenshot, the Application Data, Cookies, Local Settings, NetHood, PrintHood, SendTo, StartMenu, and Templates are all Junction Points - and each points to a different location. If you'll take a look at this article it gives the "real" location that most of the Junction Points point to: http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

I've got no clue of what damaged your other file permissions.

#8 fixit-please

fixit-please
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:04 PM

Guess that means BFI.... Brute force & Ignorance solution...

I needed an excuse to upgrade to 64bit to access the rest of the 4Gig installed.

*** Any guidance as to things to watch out for in a 64bit install - other than it must be a clean install?? ***

On a clear disk, you can seek forever...

Thanks for the effort tho...

Ed

#9 fixit-please

fixit-please
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:23 PM

One final comment -- followed the link to the Junction Points - did the "listing" as directed... some of the wierdness that came back was....

The directory name C:\Users\Ed\Local Settings\Application Data\Application Data\
Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application
Data\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\U
sers\Ed\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0 is too long.
The directory name C:\Users\Ed\Local Settings\Application Data\Application Data\
Data\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\U
sers\Ed\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player is too long.
Data\Application Data\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2006\MNYCoreFil
es.NEW.{9D6EAA4F-27B2-4407-AC72-4BBD2FCB6ED1} is too long.
Data\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\Ed\AppData\L
ocal\Microsoft\Windows\TEMPOR~1\Low\Content.IE5 is too long.
Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Microsoft\Wi
ndows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\Ed\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Wi
ndows\TEMPOR~1\Low\Content.IE5\KDA3F5TN is too long.

C:\>

I'm impressed that I can do ANYTHING with all the fouled up directories. Even more reason to re-build.

Ed

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:00 PM

64 bit works great - but verify that you can get 64 bit drivers for all of your hardware first.
Next, make sure that all your "low level" programs (disk/virus/other similiar utilities) can operate on 64 bit. Most "regular" programs can run on 64 bit in the 32 bit compatibility mode (I'm typing this from 32 bit Firefox)

Don't expect a great deal of difference between 4 gB in 32 bit and 4 gB in 64 bit - the memory "lost" in 32 bit is approximately taken up by a bit more overhead in 64 bit. FWIW - 8 gB is currently the "sweet spot" for 64 bit. Not a great deal of performance improvement, but you can leave all your apps open and still play games with acceptable frame rates.

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

Did you just update a software program, such as Adobe Reader?

Here's some information on 'VirtualStore' and 'legacy applications'
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5538

And

Here's a discussion on Adobe Reader 9.0 altering IE settings....
http://boards.live.com/safetyboards/thread...threadid=606296

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 fixit-please

fixit-please
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

Hmmm... I added Adobe Acrobat 9.0 --- didn't correlate the folder changes to that but timeframes coulda been the same

Damn!

will check 'em out.

Thank much guys!

Great Support

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users