Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Computer Suppose To Have A Bleeping-beeper !

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:31 AM

Don't tell me after 17 months, that my Compaq Presario 5300US and 4403US are suppose to have beeper codes ?

I bought the 4403 new and I have never heard a beeper beep !, Is it possible, I have it turned off,

is it possible it did not come with one !

Please enlighten me.

Edited by garmanma, 29 August 2008 - 09:58 AM.
moved to appropiate forum

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

Not hearing any is a good thing. Those are called BIOS beep codes. You should hear a single post beep when you turn on the computer. You hear this through a speaker built into the case. New computer have the speaker built into the motherboard
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 reelkill

reelkill

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:19 AM

compaqs have 1 beep meaning no errors , system booted properly

reelkill.filetap.com
shaunthorpe.blogspot.com

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

OK, I did get a little ahead of myself, (over zealous), I totally forgot that the computer I am speaking of 4403US, is not audible at this time I have another post;

Topic has attachmentsAdi 198x Integrated Hd Audio - Drivers Do Not Install Correctly
Internal Hardware Admchin 7 660 26th August 2008 - 04:21 PM
Last post by: Jove

But, When this computer was audible, it was still the same, "No Beep", my 53ooUS does have sound and I have never heard a beep !

My 4403 is not new, I purchased it around 2002.

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into the page on BIOS Beep, I just can't do it at this minute.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

garmanma,

About the PC with Sound, 5300 US

I started some of the steps as per your CH site, I disconnected all from rear except monitor,

I jostled slightly the PCtel Card and other internal hardware cables and connections, turned on the computer again, and there was no power to mouse or key board when plugged back in.

I again shut down and jostled card and touched one or two other connection cables etc., turned it on, and, a little box lit up around a pointer on the screen but windows did not open.

I turned it back off restarted and it all opened again, I can only dertermine by guess that it is possible that the PCtel card may be somehow related with either a bad connect or possibly some other type problem.

There was some clicks and ticking noises that did not seem very familiar but no beeps.

I also see dust on silver joints on the motherboard where it was difficult to reach while cleaning, this dust seems to have coated a small area there, close to the place that the mouse and keyboard wires are attached.

Any additional advisements ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

The modem information is as follows;
This contains the Windows XP driver for the PC-TEL Platinum Series V.90 Modem

If the driver is a softpack and can be downloaded, Than can you tell me what the Card stuck in the slot on the inside of the 5300US is ?

It says it is a PCTEL Platinum etc. ?

Edited by Jove, 29 August 2008 - 07:48 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

I'm afraid you've totally lost me. I answered a post about BIOS beep codes and you end up talking about PDTEL modems
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

Sorry old boy ! It apparently isn't my day for being real smart, let me try to explain.

I thought this might happen since I probably should have started another thread, . .

but when I went to the site you recommended, the instruction were to find the reasons that there was no beep.

As I was saying, I started the steps and ended up with trouble shooting, so if things are

wearing out, dead or unplugged it won't beep.

I was just asking you what the PCTEL Platinum Card looking device is, . .

if it isn't the modem, . . what is it ?? I also asked you could, . . the coating of dust thinly

caked on some of the silver connects found on the surface of the motherboard which seem a

little delicate and hard to reach be causing any problems.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:42 AM

I dunno, My emachine w6503 never beeps at all either. doesn't bother me much until it stops working then i'll figure out where to wire a speaker into it lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users