Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When Will This Be Illegal ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

This is not an infection report, it is merely a discussion concerning possible malicious threats.

I was searching Google, for, (Icons on Desk Top Missing on startup, . . .), and found this,

DO NOT ENTER THIS SITE !

CLICK HERE! INFO ABOUT: startsida spyware
startup hangs on desktop startup hangs wireless adapter usb ... startup list bleeping startup
list merijn startup loop trojan startup ltmsg startup machanic ...

yourdjz.dk/gallery2/install/po/4/pages.php?p=16740 - 85k - 7 hours ago - Cached - Similar pages

I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about this site or it's products, I went there, and it prompted me for some kind of scan, I canceled it and like lightning, it started scanning my system.

Shouldn't this be illegal, isn't this a federal airway and communications system, don't the people

care ?

When will this be illegal and when will our Federal Government have some pity on it's people !

When will the LAW be enforced?

"Without Justice, There Is No Peace"

These government people have to be incompetent or else uncivilized fascist to treat American

Citizens this way !

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

Illegal? Yes. Prosecutable? Questionable mainly because most scams are out of the appropriate authorities jusidiction. Lets say this emanates from Russia. The offender's ISP has to cut them off then the authorities prosecute them. That's not likely to happen. Of course the other thing is most scammers (and malware perpetrators are basically scammers) know when law enforcement is getting close and they disappear and reappear under another name.

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:33 PM

My thoughts on that are along these lines;

Anyone of us Americans who are in business of any kind must have a business license, and with that you most have a Federal Registration ID number, I think that anyone who does not have one of these should at least me somehow identifiable to users like us, and the same would apply for anyone who is using the telecommunications system where they would be communicating within American borders and or communication air space, etc.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:03 PM

For the most part, you're not dealing with Americans, Canadians etc. or legit business people. These people are criminals and live in countries like Russia, Nigeria etc. The kind of laws you are talking about do not apply to these people. Criminals don't register for business licenses.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:31 PM

It's not practical. Why would a site owner in England or Spain or somewhere else pay the US for a license? There are a lot of legitimate sites originating in other countries.
You want the internet locked down? Move to China, where it's controlled and censored by the government.
To answer a question in your first post, the internet is NOT a federal airway and communications system.

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

Ok, hey, don't get so fanatical, were just shootin the breeze, but what about other countries, don't they have business licenses, and any avenue or space where a communication system crosses a state border can be considered a federal lane, even if its' a string between to cans.

Why should we fall prey to ridiculous SOB's that only want to cheat the living H out of anything that has a little life in it, If it were medicine would you say that I would want to close down the entire pharmaceutical industry ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

It's a federal lane ONLY IF THE GOVERNMENT REGULATES IT and the gov't does not regulate the internet. The pharmaceutical industry is regulated, by the FDA. But that doesn't stop people from ordering their medications online. There a hundreds of sites which will send you cheap drugs, but the catch is they may have been manufactured in another country. And those drugs may not stand up to the regulations of the FDA.
The internet is no different-as long as there are people who want to make easy money, there are those who will part with their cash because they want a deal or because they are gullible.
Laws and regulations won't stop people from conning other folks and it won't stop people from falling prey to the cons.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 August 2008 - 08:14 PM.

#8 TulShulty

TulShulty

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

No matter what type of enforcement any country could come up with to fight the online scammers they would find a way around it just as fast. The only way to affect them is to have knowledge of what is going on out there and to act accordingly. Most scams work because they prey on peoples greed at getting something for nothing and on peoples naieveness. :-) How many times have people been told about opening the attachments in emails from people they don't know but they still do and always will lol. The scamer counts on the nature of the beast. And sometimes no matter what you do you malware, spam, virus and hijackers will get around the best protection. That's why we all back up right??? lol :-)

#9 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

OK!

Well, let me ask you, what is comparable to a program like an e-mail scanner that scans your e-mail, to a scanner that scans a web page you want to open when your surfing the net ?

Maybe this question is simply a retort to reverberate what anti malware protections are doing presently, that is what I would suspect is the answer.

Then if so allow me to extend the question of protection capabilities of things that enter into your system whether foreign or benign, all things in common that fly from one system to the next have a property description, in it are basic entrees, that are sometimes unknown, why should they then be allowed to fly?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users