Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Runtime Environment

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 txishome

txishome

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:51 AM

Looking at "Add or Remove Programs" I see there are FIVE J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 (then each with a different update number.) listed. There is also "JAVA ™ 6 update (whatever all different) and there are also FIVE of them. Each of these "programs" is way over 100 MB. Can I get rid of any of them? Are they all necessary? What do they do?

I'm trying to clean up my computer and this somehow seems redundant.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:46 AM

Download Java Software - http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

I would remove all that you currently reflect...then install from the link above. Newer versions normally supercede prior versions because of enhanced security provisions, IMO.

Louis

#3 Wongy

Wongy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

Install the latest version and uninstall all the previous versions, they are standalone and do not need the previous version to run :thumbsup:.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users