Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DUFUS

DUFUS

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

Hi
I have a HP Pavilion DV9700 laptop running Vista which was fine until yesterday when I decided to install some windows updates. 3 out of the 4 installed successfully. Since then the sound doesn't work & the little touchpad mute button no longer turns orange when touched.

I tried system restore several times but on restart the message "System restore was unsuccessful & your files have not been changed" (or similar) I tried to roll back the Conexant driver to see if that would work, it didn't. I did a search & downloaded & installed the driver again...nothing.

I did the diagnostic check & it says everything is working. I've done a little browsing around & it seems there are a few similar problems with this. Any ideas please?

I'm a novice too so that doesn't help much. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Dufus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:48 PM

I know that sometimes windows updates can take things down in Vista if you are not careful. Did you update the audio driver from windows update? I never use winupdates for audio and graphics with vista because I have had similar problems too. Do you have the original driver for the audio device if this is the case? If so, uninstall any software for the device, and then uninstall the device from device manager. When windows rediscovers the device, point it to the old drivers .inf file, or just cancel the found new hardware dialog and run the old setup program. Check out what driver they have on the HP/Compaq support site 1st. Not such a terrible problem. We will figure it out.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

You can also try to uninstall the updates. Which were they anyhow?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users