Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Open A Pps File (powerpoint)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 epson

epson

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:02 AM

This proble only happened tody. I am using Windows XP pro SP 3. I recieved a e-mail with an attatchment PPS, when I try to open I get a message saying unknown file type go to Control panal / folder option and create a file association. the file type is not in the list, when I try to browes for Microsoft PowerPoint in the list it is not there. PowerPoint is on my PC & can be run from Microsoft Office 2007 OK.

Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

Have you opened Powerpoint...and then opened the file from within PP?

As for file associations...if PP is properly installed on your system, you should reflect a file association for .pps files. If one doesn't exist, it's easy to create one.

How to change file associations in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...p;product=winxp

Louis

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:18 AM

Assuming you were expecting an E-mail with a .ppt file attached, try saving it to your hard drive and then open it from there, once you have made certain the file association is correct.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 epson

epson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the reply's Louis & John,

I had to create a 'new' file associaction 'PPS' & open with Microwsoft PowePoint exe.

This works to an extent but the PPS file still shows as 'Type unknown file type' however if I click on open file it boots up Microsoft Poerpoint, I then have to run the slide show (this was done automaticaly before today). I cannot find a 'open with Microsoft PowerPoint Slide Show option in the program files for Office 2007.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

#5 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

Hello epson,

Maybe this will correct it:

In PowerPoint 2007, click the Office orb at the top-left corner of the window, then click the PowerPoint Options button at the bottom, then click Resources at the bottom of the column on the left, then click the Diagnose button to the right of "run Microsoft Office Diagnostics".

#6 epson

epson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

Hello epson,

Maybe this will correct it:

In PowerPoint 2007, click the Office orb at the top-left corner of the window, then click the PowerPoint Options button at the bottom, then click Resources at the bottom of the column on the left, then click the Diagnose button to the right of "run Microsoft Office Diagnostics".

Hi M.

Followed your instructions and it worked a treat!!!!

All back to normal now, don't know why it happened but glad i'm back up and running again.

Thanks to Louis, John & M

Mike

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:23 PM

In the past I've found that this has to do with installing the converters for previous versions of that Office program.
For example, the default format for a Powerpoint presentation in .pptx in Office 07 - but was .ppt in previous versions. Perhaps these converters weren't installed when Office was installed on your system? If not, rerun the Office 2007 installation and select the Custom or Advanced installation option - in there it'll give you the option for installing all sorts of converters.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 epson

epson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:36 AM

Thanks for the Info Usasma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users