Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drive Complete Format

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SuperShadow

SuperShadow

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:56 AM

I just got this store-branded thumb drive for free and although I was able to format the drive to get rid of all the junk files that came with it, there is something I can't seem to remove. When I insert the drive, the computer recognizes it as a removable drive, but also creates a "CD Drive" that contains all the autorun demo junk promoting the store that came with the drive initially.

Once I remove the usb drive, this CD Drive disappears too, but it comes back with every use of the usb drive. I can't delete any of the files in the "CD Drive" and can't modify them either. How can I get rid of this "CD Drive" that shows up, and just get the blank "Removable Disk" when I use this thumbdrive?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:56 PM

If you formatted the drive...it's not possible for anything from its former life...to do anything to your system. Those files and file system are all erased via formatting...assuming that you formatted the entire drive.

Louis

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:48 AM

Most U3 smart drives come with an uninstall utility that converts the U3 smart drive into a regular USB flash drive. This utility can be accessed from the U3 Launchpad. Open the U3 Launchpad and click on Settings, then select U3 Launchpad Settings and click on the Uninstall tab. Some devices have a link to the Uninstall utility under Help and Support.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 SuperShadow

SuperShadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:50 AM

If you formatted the drive...it's not possible for anything from its former life...to do anything to your system. Those files and file system are all erased via formatting...assuming that you formatted the entire drive.

Louis

Yes, I ran a full format on the drive, and it still comes up with this separate "CD Drive" with random files when I insert the thumb drive, even though the thumb drive contents is empty.

Also, I ran the U3 removal tool and it did not detect any drive with U3 technology, even though the thumb drive was plugged in.

Edited by SuperShadow, 30 August 2008 - 02:50 AM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:54 AM

Did the drive format up to the full capacity?

After the drive was re-formatted, does the virtual drive occur on any computer it's attached to, or just yours? If it only happens now on your system, the first time the drive was connected an iso and mounting software may have been installed onto your hard drive...

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

I have a feeling that when you did the format that you only formatted the main partition. Most U3 smart drives have a separate partition for the U3 software. You could try doing a format on the "CD Drive" partition maybe and then possibly getting rid of that second partition by right clicking on My Computer and clicking Manage. Click on Disk Management. Right click on your drive's second partition and click Delete Partition. MAKE SURE YOU ARE DELETING THE CORRECT PARTITION AND NOT DELETING ANYTHING IMPORTANT!

#7 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

To remove and delete the U3 Launchpad, you need to download U3 Launchpad uninstallers or U3 Launchpad Removal Tool that remove the U3 Launchpad and re-configure the USB drive to be a single mass storage USB drive. Currently, U3 Launchpad uninstallers are only available for and must be run on Windows XP or Windows 2000 machine. When uninstalling, the U3 smart drives USB device has to be plugged in with U3 Launchpad running.

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/u3/launchpadremoval.exe
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#8 SuperShadow

SuperShadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:04 AM

Did the drive format up to the full capacity?

After the drive was re-formatted, does the virtual drive occur on any computer it's attached to, or just yours? If it only happens now on your system, the first time the drive was connected an iso and mounting software may have been installed onto your hard drive...

Yes the drive did format to full capacity (476MB of a 512MB drive), and the virtual drive does occur on any computer it is attached to. It is 3MB in size in CDFS format. No mounting software is installed.

I have a feeling that when you did the format that you only formatted the main partition. Most U3 smart drives have a separate partition for the U3 software. You could try doing a format on the "CD Drive" partition maybe and then possibly getting rid of that second partition by right clicking on My Computer and clicking Manage. Click on Disk Management. Right click on your drive's second partition and click Delete Partition. MAKE SURE YOU ARE DELETING THE CORRECT PARTITION AND NOT DELETING ANYTHING IMPORTANT!

I checked the partitions, and there is only one partition on the thumbdrive. The CD-ROM shows up separately.

To remove and delete the U3 Launchpad, you need to download U3 Launchpad uninstallers or U3 Launchpad Removal Tool that remove the U3 Launchpad and re-configure the USB drive to be a single mass storage USB drive. Currently, U3 Launchpad uninstallers are only available for and must be run on Windows XP or Windows 2000 machine. When uninstalling, the U3 smart drives USB device has to be plugged in with U3 Launchpad running.

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/u3/launchpadremoval.exe

The utility does not see any U3 drives plugged in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users