Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Utorrent Disappeared After Finding A Trojan In Utorrent?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deuce23

deuce23

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:05 AM

I always have been using uTorrent version either 1.6.1 or 1.7.1 (one of those) for years now and suddenly out of the blue my ZoneAlarm detects a trojan downloader in my uTorrent so it quarantines it but now my uTorrent icon and program files are gone and all that is left in the uTorrent folder is the uninstall program and there's no longer a torrent program because the torrent files shows that unknown picture now but when I go to my control panel then to add/remove programs I can see that uTorrent is still installed.

What should I do? Should I just full uninstall uTorrent and then download and install it again? Any ideas? I have no idea how a trojan got into the program because I haven't been downloading any shady stuff nor do I even download that much.

I really prefer uTorrent out of all the other torrent programs.

Edit: Moved topic from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
Daily Digest FreebieGossip --- AngryMidgetYo --- Sinfest --- Explosm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:14 AM

That's what I would do. Uninstall,reboot into safe mode . Scan the PC,delete/quarantine anything found . Reboot again to regular mode and then install.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry892986

In this thread it seemed you were having some similar problems with your programs that may have been aggrevated by a bad load of SP3

These can be very complicated to fix
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:34 PM

My previous problem was fixed, but I forgot how.

I think I will follow boopme's advice but should I use the latest version or stick with the old version? Because I heard that versions after 1.7 would track your ip and whatever you download and upload so that the FCC and Bittorent could keep an eye on you and that the latest versions downloads slow.
Daily Digest FreebieGossip --- AngryMidgetYo --- Sinfest --- Explosm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users