Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Quirk.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 blknblu1

blknblu1

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:20 AM

Hi All! First post by the newbie.

XP MCE @ SP2
Firefox 3.0.1

When I double-click my desktop internet shortcuts, they have started opening UNDERNEATH open windows. Arghhh!!! As near as I can tell, this started sometime around when I updated to Firefox 2.0.0.15, but cannot be sure that is the culprit. It just gives a timeline of sorts. I don't use IE6 at all on this computer, so updates are ignored.

Windows related desktop shortcuts (folders, text files, etc...) will open on top and in focus as usual. Same with Quick launch buttons.

I only have a problem with the internet shortcuts on my desktop. They always open underneath existing windows, and it is driving me CRAZY! :thumbsup:

I have searched the internet several times to no avail. Mozillas' knowledge base, forums, yadda yadda yadda.

I'll bet that this is just some simple setting that somehow got changed, but for the life of me, can't think of how to properly search for an answer.

So, before I get long winded, there is my vexation.

Thanks for taking the time. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:51 AM

Hi All! First post by the newbie.

XP MCE @ SP2
Firefox 3.0.1

I don't use IE6 at all on this computer, so updates are ignored.

I am not very Computer Litterate,either,but I understood the updates, are for the safe running of Windows.
Not what browser, you are useing.

#3 blknblu1

blknblu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:22 AM

10-4 All windows updates are current. I just don't bother with any IE updates, that's all.

#4 onlybe

onlybe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:27 AM

OMG! At last, someone else who has the same symptoms!!
blknblu1 I have the exact same thing going on with FF3 installed, XP SP" (am sure I allowed SP3 to be installed but it still says SP2). I was beginning to think I was litterally the only one with this problem, even the mozilla.support.firefox newsgroup could not help. I now suspect it might be a windows issue but for the life of me I cannot figure it out. One thing though, it definately used to work before and ever since FireFox 2.0.0.16 it stopped working. All desktop shortcuts to web pages now open neatly tiled BEHIND all other open windows. Driving be totally bonkers.
I really do hope someone has the answer.
g'luck.

#5 blknblu1

blknblu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

Solved. At long last. My downstairs machine was running 2.0.0.14 and working just fine.

So....Firefox removal and backdate.

Found and copied my bookmarks onto a memory stick. Locations will differ. Gotta look that one up yourself.
Completely remove Firefox ( http://hubpages.com/hub/firefoxfix ).
I used revo uninstaller ( http://www.revouninstaller.com/ ) not windows add or remove.
Ran RegScrubXP available here ( http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2048 )
Restart.
Reinstalled 2.0.0.14 available here ( http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.htm ) using IE.
Reset my program access and defaults. start>all programs>program access....
And imported my bookmarks from the memory stik.

Now, I lost some of the tweaking I had done, such as button size, add-ons, etc... but they are easy enough to reinstall.

It's not the answer I wanted, but it's the one I've got.

Took about 1/2 hr. Ok, a fat 1/2 hr.

Hope firefox addresses this issue.

#6 onlybe

onlybe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:45 AM

Well I never - It is such a relieve to have this working again!
SO it seems that the problem is to do with later versions of Firefox because I tried to reinstall Firefox 3 after following your instructions blknblu1, and the problem was still there. I repeated the process with 2.0.0.14 and voila!, the problem is solved.

Not many people seem to be concerned with this issue but I found out that it is because those people all use tabs, not separate windows.

Anyways - I am really grateful for your solution blknblu1, even if it is going back to a previous version - good enough for me.

Thanks a LOT!

#7 blknblu1

blknblu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

You're very welcome. A relief for me as well.

I was going to report it on bugzilla, but I found over 200 bugs with "windows" alone in the text. I think they have their hands full for the moment ironing out version 3.0.1.

This is the first time a version update has created loss of hair, though, so I'll just wait and try again in a few months. Wasn't crazy about the new bookmarks UI either, but maybe because I hadn't put enough miles on it.

For me, I have three monitors for trading, and regularly have several windows open throughout the day monitoring this and that. When I use tabs, it is only in one window I use for research. I don't suppose my situation to be all that common, or to be resolved quickly. Maybe Firefox 3.0.5..... :thumbsup:

#8 blknblu1

blknblu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:58 PM

When will it ever end?

Just an addition. Lost my mouse wheel (Logitech wireless). :flowers: :trumpet:

Right click on Firefox shortcut>properties>compatibility>Whatever OS

Don't forget to turn off Firefox updates (tools>options>advanced>update>uncheck Firefox) or it will put you right back to 2.0.0.16 on your next restart. :thumbsup:

#9 onlybe

onlybe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:59 AM

Wheeew! Good call re the updates. Still had that enabled.
You're a star blknblu1 :thumbsup:
Thanks again.
K

#10 blknblu1

blknblu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:26 AM

Just so you know, my laptop was the one that got away on me and updated to 2.0.0.16. However, the problem didn't return. :thumbsup:

So now I am wondering if all of this occurred because of FF internal update method (without complete uninstall). My computers have gone through a lot of upgrades in the last several months without cleaning up possible rabbit turds.

One step forward, two steps back. I might try a clean install of FF 3.0.1 again sometime after my hair grows back. Then again... if it ain't broke...y'know.

For now, I'll just warm my toes on a bug-free setup. :flowers:

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

I've upgraded Firefox continually and haven't suffered from these things - so I suspect that it may be due to either the add-ons/extensions that you're using - or that it may be related to some other programs that have been installed. It'd be an interesting exercise in trying to figure it out - but you'd be without a browser until we did it! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 blknblu1

blknblu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:19 AM

AAARRRRRRHHHHHHHRRHHHHGHGHHGHHGGGGHHH!!!!! It's back!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunno how I did it, but the curse is back.

Same thing. Internet shortcuts opening underneath existing browser windows with FF. Thinking it is a scripting problem of some sort. Running XP SP2 on a HP laptop. AVG shows nothing...

I tried disabling all my add-ons. Nope
Tried complete uninstall/reinstall. Nope
Tried 2.0.0.16 Nope
Tried 2.0.0.20 Nope
Tried 3.0.5 (currently running) Same thing.
Internet explorer works fine.
Can't find any about:config setting related to it.

It is only with FF that when I have an existing window open and I double click a desktop internet shortcut, it opens underneath the existing window. Shortcuts to folders open on top. Shortcuts to programs open on top.

I have no idea where to find this setting, if there even is one (seems like there should be), and have been all over the internet looking for a solution, but vexed.

It could be something nasty. I just don't know.

Where do I start?

Edited by blknblu1, 23 December 2008 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users