Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 k77996

k77996

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:20 AM

Hi, I'm thinking about setting up 2 monitors with my PC. I have the Xcreen TF15 and the GEM GL-166S.
I want to make the better of the two monitors my main one, but I don't know which is better.

http://www.driveguys.com/Modern/itemdesc.asp?ic=TF15
http://www.firingsquad.com/hw/3834/GEM_GL-166S_LCD/

Here are a couple links to the products i found online. I've gone over them, but they seem pretty similar and I'm just not sure which one to use as my main monitor. If anyone knows which is better, or if they are the same, which brand is better, it'd really help me out. Thanks. =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:19 AM

They're already yours right? Just pick which one you like better.

#3 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:45 AM

smurfgod is right pick which one you like best because they are both basically identical Screens in just about everything. But in my Opinion if I did have to pick 1 I would pick the TF15.

#4 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

Yep i have both and I am currently using the TF15. The other monitor is connected to an old pc that's not being used. So i guess I'll use the TF15 for my main screen. Thanks

#5 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

I tested the 2 screens out with my laptop, my laptop being the main screen and the GEM being the secondary, and it worked fine. But, when I played a game on fullscreen with one monitor, and AIM, firefox, ect. on the other screen, it minimized my game everytime i switched to another program. Is there any way I can change some settings to fix this, or does this not happen in vista. My laptop is running XP and desktop Vista. Thanks.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:32 PM

You need to run the game in windowed mode if it has the option. A game I used to play Dark Age of Camelot had the setting so you can run multiple instances of the game and run a bot. Some games do not have this feature for the very reason of not allowing Bots.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

I installed a new graphics card and plugged in one screen to the VGA input on the video card itself, but when I connected the other screen to the original VGA slot, I could not extend my desktop onto the monitor. Is it connected to the onboard video card that is disabled? If so, should i get an adapter, or is there a way to get this to work? Thanks. =)

Edited by k77996, 02 September 2008 - 08:59 PM.

#8 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a monitor switch box that can allow me to connect both screens to my PC?
*Edit* I there is a dvi input on the graphics card so I'll just buy a DVI-VGA adapter. Thanks for all your help. I hope everything works out.

Edited by k77996, 02 September 2008 - 09:23 PM.

#9 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:22 PM

I bought a dvi-vga adapter and set up my monitors, but the Gem one is slightly blurry. there are lines of sharpness then blurriness. I've tried changing the settings on the monitor itself, but all it does is move the blurry streaks around the screen. Does anyone know what is wrong with it? or is just because it's old.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:38 AM

Are you running the monitor at its native resolution? If it's a 1024x768 screen (as the Gem is) for example, and Windows resolution is 800x600, the monitor has to interpolate (decide how to set the pixels where they don't exactly coincide). Older monitors often don't interpolate as well as newer ones do. If this is the case, try it at native resolution & see if the blurriness goes away.

Edited by Platypus, 07 September 2008 - 12:41 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users