Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Photo Gallery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 davemckelvey

davemckelvey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:06 AM

This is a part of the explorer shell right? I don't know if this should be in the graphic/photo editing forum so I put it here... the error also happens in windws photo screensaver if there are any videos in the folders.

Hardware
I am running on a Dell Vostro 1500 Laptop w/ Vista Business SP1 32Bit, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600M GT (256MB), 250GB HDD, with a page file set manually to 9GB or so.... So there should be no memory problems am I right? Vista Flys like a sonic jet on this machine
-I have a Fujifilm 8.2MP camera and all of my photos open quickly and slide transitions are great in photo gallery and in the slide shows, whether from SD card or on the Hard Disk. The camera also records video in AVI format at ~70MB for 1 minute (640x480) and as you can tell it is VERY uncompressed lol.

The Problem
When viewing and browsing through images normally, there are NO PROBLEMS until I encounter a video.
It takes a long time to load the video and it will play normally most of the time.
Sometimes it is snappy and plays straight away with no hastles.
The big problem is a lock up when trying to view the video, either moving past it or actually playing it, and when viewing in slide show mode it almost ALWAYS freezes.
Sometimes an error message comes up in a white background "you have insufficient memory to view this video, please free up memory by closing running programs...." or something very similar, but only ever freezes in slide show mode.

I have run task manager and to clear the error you have to resart explorer which is a bummer. But a bit of experimentation leaving the program running with the error message or frozen, I can open the same file causing the lock up in windows media, VLC player and Real Player... all at the same time without any issue!!!
It is really weird clearly if I have enough memory to open 3 instances of the same AVI file on top of the frozen version then I am not low on memory. I know vista runs things in memory differently but what is going on with this program? It should be good... and it is most of the time.

Please help, i'm going to move all my videos into one folder because this isn't worth the hastle for now... i guess i'm waiting on a non existant update?? :S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:49 AM

Well try run chkdsk/f in Run.. , if dont help try: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-music-video/899462.htm ,but if it crashing with error message post it please..+send it to Microsoft servers..Of course it may dont show video,if you have damaged/old codecs..Oh yes, its very strange that you have 32-bit Windows and you can acess 4GB RAM

Edited by ~PrEmIuM~, 29 August 2008 - 05:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users