Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netscape 8 Beta

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:57 AM

i've just been trying out the new Netscape 8 Beta browser and have a problem,
we have our computer set up for multiple users, i installed the new browser on my account and it works fine. When the other accounts try to use it, it just won't load up.
Is there something that i've missed or is this a problem with this browser?
i understand that it's based on the 'firefox' browser, so i thought someone here may have an idea.
If it's not going to work for multiple users, i'll just carry on using 'netscape 7.2'

BBPP6nz.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:28 PM

The problem with "beta," or test versions, is that there can be bugs and problems with it, and documentation for it is minimal. As I understand it, the new netscape will use either an IE or an Mozilla engine, depending upon the requirements to load the page.
Have you checked to see if there is a test forum?

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:50 PM

yes,
i have checked and there is a forum.
a lot of people are saying that they are having different problems, but no one is really giving any answers.
i understand that this browser can work like EI (this can be changed somewhere in the system) but i can't find where you can change all the options. nothing seems to be very clear.
Maybe i should wait 'til the final realise comes out.

BBPP6nz.png

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:56 PM

Sounds like a plan to me.
Unless you enjoy testing applications, wait until the life cycle is completed and the new version is published. Quite frankly, even though the new netscape has some interesting features, its use of the IE engine to make browsing "easier" is outweighed by the many security issues involved with that use; if you are looking for an browser alternative, then check out Mozilla or its stand-alone browser, Firefox.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:56 PM

mmm i think you may be right there.
i changed to netscape because i just didn't like the security issues with IE.
if the new version is going to use the IE engine, maybe i should think about an alternative.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users