Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Keeps Deleting My Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 malware_terminator

malware_terminator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

Hello all,

I've had this unbelievable problem with a friend's computer that I've never seen before. She had a ton of viruses on it and when she tried to open up a program
she would get a message saying: "Confirm Shortcut Delete" and instructions on how to properly remove a program. If she hits cancel, the Confirm Shortcut Delete box does not go away. If she hits Delete Shortcut another box opens up saying: "Error Deleting File or Folder" Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." But it deletes the shortcut into the Recycle Bin.

So I tried going to properties in the recycle bin and unchecking the "Display delete confirmation dialog." But then only the "Error Deleting File or Folder" message would appear. I figured it was a virus issue so I reformatted the hard drive even using D-Ban. However after downloading and installing SP2 and SP3 the same thing is happening again. I have found nothing about this anywhere on the internet.

Has anyone heard of or seen this and if so what do I need to do to correct the problem??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bochulain

Bochulain

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:36 AM

Hey there. In my experience, the "Error reading from source file or disk" issue during file deletion (and the shortcut counts as a file itself) tends to be due to file corruption. The NTFS attributes were somehow incorrectly written, whether it be because the machine was powered down during a write operation or the file was written to a bad sector on the drive in question. It happens to me when I pull a USB stick out before finishing a write operation.

That said, are we sure the hard drive is free of errors? If in reformatting you did a "quick" format, Windows just deletes the file table rather than fully format it, so a quick format will ignore hard drive errors. If you do the long format, it'll usually catch, adjust for, or stop due to bad sectors.

If the drive is fine, you might look into the IDE controllers. This is where I get fuzzy, but I'd guess that if the proper drivers are not in place, some motherboards may have difficulty communicating with the device.

#3 malware_terminator

malware_terminator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:50 AM

Thanks Bochulain but I found out that the problem was bad memory. I ran MemTest86 and it came back all red. I've seen bad memory do some crazy things before but this one takes the cake. Its possible that one or more viruses got into the memory and corrupted it.

Thanks again

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:01 AM

FWIW: http://www.ehow.com/how_2020132_replace-corrupt-ram.html

Personally...I'd just download Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/ and run it if I suspected a RAM problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users