Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fails Update To Vista Sp1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Poe

Randy Poe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

Running Vista Business. Attempted update to SP1. Runs progress bar a long time, then attempts 1st reboot, and says installation failed. Tried updating video and sound drivers, and also BIOS on Sony Vaio notebook to latest versions, disabled antivirus and firewall - same result. Previous Vista patched up-to-date. Any ideas what to try next? Know I could contact Microsoft for free support, but you guys have been most helpful in the past. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:04 AM

Okay, SP1 setup has many incompatiblities, i will give you site : http://chris.pirillo.com/2008/03/19/top-si...tall-vista-sp1/ do all what there says and you can upgrade to SP1 plus run this : http://www.ccleaner.com/ of course some malware may interrupt setup, run quick scan here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php well hope you install it! And post ur answer

#3 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did all of the steps at each of these websites, and SP1 installation still fails the same way. I think I will contact Microsoft unless someone has some new ideas... thanks again.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:21 AM

I downloaded and used the 'Stand Alone' installer on my Vista Business machine:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb738089.aspx

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

Well problem is not hardware...I think its incomatiblity, do this informative scan and post it:Creating an AVZ Sysinfo log using the standalone AVZ utility.

The AVZ Sysinfo tool collects information about your system (such as running processes, loaded modules and files that run on startup) and converts this information into a logfile. This logfile can then be analysed by me and other users

You have problem with 3rd-party conflicting software
---

To create the logfile, please firstly download AVZ by clicking http://www.z-oleg.com/avz4.zip. Please save this file to your desktop

Next, unpack the file to a new folder using the Compressed (zipped) folders wizard built into Windows XP, or a zip utility of your choice.

Once you have unpacked the contents of the zip archive, please launch the file AVZ.exe by double clicking on it or right clicking and selecting Open

You should now see the main window of the AVZ utility. Please navigate to File->System Analysis, check the option "Attach System Analysis log to ZIP"and start the scan from the same window. AVZ will then take a few minutes to scan your computer and compile the logfile. You will be prompted with a window asking you where to save the logfile. Please save the logfile to your desktop or within the AVZ folder so you can easily retrieve it after scanning has completed.

Once scanning is finished, please attach the zipped logfile (avz_sysinfo.zip) to your post.

I will analyze your software/programs as soon as possible

Edited by ~PrEmIuM~, 05 September 2008 - 05:54 AM.

#6 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the advice. I spent 3 hours yesterday with Microsoft remote-controlling my PC. They removed some files, cleaned up some stuff, but it still won't install. System File Checker shows there are some corrupt DLLs that are preventing the installation. Unfortunately, Sony does NOT ship Vista CDs with new systems, and that's what I need to do a "repair reinstall" (it used to be called). Sony's only advice was to start completely from scratch and reinstall all apps, cause they only put a recovery partition on their hard disks. That is totally unacceptable for me. I licensed this Vista OS with the Sony VAIO 1.5 years ago, and they won't even send me a CD. My advice is STEER CLEAR of Sony as a hardware vendor. I will now have to try to borrow a Vista CD, which is tough, cause I'm a retired guy and no one I know runs Vista!

#7 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:52 AM

Thanks for the advice. I spent 3 hours yesterday with Microsoft remote-controlling my PC. They removed some files, cleaned up some stuff, but it still won't install. System File Checker shows there are some corrupt DLLs that are preventing the installation. Unfortunately, Sony does NOT ship Vista CDs with new systems, and that's what I need to do a "repair reinstall" (it used to be called). Sony's only advice was to start completely from scratch and reinstall all apps, cause they only put a recovery partition on their hard disks. That is totally unacceptable for me. I licensed this Vista OS with the Sony VAIO 1.5 years ago, and they won't even send me a CD. My advice is STEER CLEAR of Sony as a hardware vendor. I will now have to try to borrow a Vista CD, which is tough, cause I'm a retired guy and no one I know runs Vista!

please attach AVZ log...

#8 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

PrEmIuM: Thanks for volunteering to look at this log. Hope you find the problem :huh:

Attached Files

#9 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:19 AM

ok, i suggest remove some programs from your PC.Then reinstall them again,AVZ log shows that you have SymantecPcAnywhere, i didnt use this program, so write down your Product Key and remove it.
Well Nero Indexing Services often cause some problems with PC programming like If you overwrite some files(like updating) it will re-index them again after reboot...this will cause you failing..
if you need it for Nero Home, go to Start, Run, services.msc , choose NMIndexingService properties, stop it, and choose manual startup mode and if you install SP1 press auto again(i turned it to manual always)Then i saw that your AV is Norton 360,right?If yes then remove it(its version 1 and have noisy ccapp.exe) after SP1 install it again or upgrade to version 2..
And do a ccleaner scan after norton removal...(i suggest use NRT-norton removal tool): http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...39?OpenDocument read carefully./. Oh yes, removal tool nees to run 2 times for best results..then enable Automatic Updating if it disabled, and start SP1 installing now ..Oh and install SP1 only from updates, stand-alone may cause errors after reboot...

Edited by ~PrEmIuM~, 07 September 2008 - 04:27 AM.

#10 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for your work and your advice!

On a separate but related topic - does CCleaner clean registry entries? I did not see a check box for that when I ran it previously.

#11 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for your work and your advice!

On a separate but related topic - does CCleaner clean registry entries? I did not see a check box for that when I ran it previously.

If this issue is fixed, then OK, and yes CC cleaner have registry cleaner search it in left pane (registry)

Edited by ~PrEmIuM~, 08 September 2008 - 08:45 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

Bleeping Computer does not recommend the use of registry cleaners - even those from reputable software such as CCleaner or even from Microsoft. We have seen too many system's rendered useless by them - and if you search the forums you'll find links to other articles in different forums that support this view.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users