Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Drive Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zugzug

Zugzug

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

Just as the topic describes will i have any trouble installing a HP dvd640 into a Dell Dimension 4600? will it reconize it? and will i be able to download "hp" drivers into a dell?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

The system won't even recognize it as a "Dell drive" since Dell buys drives from someone else and merely puts them in.

As for drivers...Windows uses generic drivers for all optical drives. In former/olden times...optical drives had their own drivers but I believe that era is long past in computerland.

Just connect the drive...check the BIOS to ensure that it properly sees it...and the drive should work.

You will, of course, have to install DVD-burning software...which (again) cares not who makes the drive or sells it.

Louis

Edit: http://www.supermediastore.com/hp-dvd-640-...rner-black.html

Edited by hamluis, 29 August 2008 - 11:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users