Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firedog Techs(circuit City) And My Video Upgrade .. Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:14 PM

Hi Everone!

I took my pc to Circuit City's Firedog Techs on Monday to have my video card upgraded along with the psu.

Going from an nvidia GeForce6200 turbocache to a pny GeForce8500GT card and from a generic 300 watt psu to a 500 watt Antec Basiq.

At first the tech told me that he could install the hardware while I waited but then told me that he was going to lunch.
I chose not to stay and to pick the pc up the next day.

The next day, I was told they hadn't started working on it yet.

Well, I just got back from there, (without pc and after 3 days) and I don't know if the news is good or bad!?

I took my pc to these guys after I had no success in getting the video card to load to the pc.

The following is what I was told today:

The person working on my pc wasn't there but his partner was and told me that he, (the one working on my pc) was able to get the new card to work and show on the display "But" with horrible colors.

He has been working on what they think is a bad driver?

Apparently, when you try to load the new driver(s) for the New video card .. the Bad-d-d driver kicks the others out???

I'm not clear on this part because He wasn't clear in explaining it.

He didn't explain to me whether it was a driver for the new card or an old driver giving them fits .. I'm just guessing here.

I didn't and don't really understand it all.

The partner says to give him a few hours to try some ideas of his own and give a call back tomorrow.

I KNEW that there was a Demon Something about that pc child of mine. A DRIVER?

It seems to be giving them one heck of a time!

A Driver that refuses to go away?
(Or a new driver that's bad?)

Let me ask you this: If they can't get the bad driver removed .. If I were to do one of those complete destructs, (erase Everything) and then do a clean install, will That get rid of the driver and will I then be able to install the new driver(s) and video card?

Also, If I go for the complete factory re-install, can I do it with the new video card still in the pc or do I have to put the old card back in first?

I don't want to do this but If the techs can't get the pc to work .. What other choice do I have 8-(

I don't know if this is revelant to my questions but, the pc is a Gateway GM5045E Media Center Edition 2005 with an AMD 64 x2 Dual-core processor 3800+

2 gigs of ram

ANY HELP would sure be appreciated!!

Mc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

<<I took my pc to Circuit City's Firedog Techs on Monday to have my video card upgraded along with the psu.>>

It would have taken you...approximately 5 minutes to take the cover off and install a video card, maybe 10 minutes to remove a PSU and replace it, making all proper connections. These are not complicated tasks involving more than the ability to follow directions and ensure that you have the correct components for the motherboard/system involved.

<<He has been working on what they think is a bad driver? Apparently, when you try to load the new driver(s) for the New video card .. the Bad-d-d driver kicks the others out??? I'm not clear on this part because He wasn't clear in explaining it.>>

Well...even a corrupt/damaged driver...can be easily removed. Once removed, a driver has no impact on a hardware item, unless it is reinstalled. I think the lack of proper explanation speaks volumes.

<<Let me ask you this: If they can't get the bad driver removed .. If I were to do one of those complete destructs, (erase Everything) and then do a clean install, will That get rid of the driver and will I then be able to install the new driver(s) and video card?>>

Do you have an XP CD?

A clean install is a new start, with the creation of a new boot partition, install of the operating system, and subsequent install of programs. It's like building a new house, with the system being the real estate on which the house will be built. Like anything else, if the foundation is problematical, chances are that any structures built upon that foundation...will be devoid of problems.

You seem to have a hardware problem, by virtue of your stated inability to get the video card to install properly. Until that's solved, a clean install may not yield any benefit.

I don't think the problem is clearly defined yet.

<<I don't want to do this but If the techs can't get the pc to work .. What other choice do I have 8-( >>

You have all sorts of choices...the most basic being that you can try to sort it out yourself. If you don't feel capable of doing that...do yourself a favor and take your system to a local computer repair shop...not a retail store that claims to have a "computer repair" department...and whose job it is to sell computer parts to unsuspecting or unwitting customers.

Depending on what CC attempts to charge you...you need to bear in mind that Dell currently is offering dual-core systems for circa $350...$500 with monitor included. To me that says that it is NOT cost-effective or very intelligent...to spend more than $?? on any older system that can only beg for more monetary attention in the future.

And you might either get a real CD for installing your O/S...or start making periodic backups of your system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 August 2008 - 06:09 PM.

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

Thank You for your responce,

Wouldn't the techs have at least enough knowledge to know if it were a hardware problem?

$158.00 for the new psu and the install of the card and the psu.

I have the original restore disc that came with the pc and I have a three disc set that I burned with, (I think) the complete re-install that Gateway had provided on my pc when I got it.

Mc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users