Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bvdman89

bvdman89

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:54 PM

Background: I'm living in a dorm with one ethernet port. I have a Windows XP laptop and the Mac Mini.

Normally, the ethernet cable is connected to my laptop. When I switch to the Mac, I unplug the cable from the laptop and plug it into the Mac. Initially, the internet won't work on the Mac. However, when I go into the ethernet section of network preferences, disconnect, and reconnect, the internet works fine.
When I switch the cable back to my laptop, the internet no longer works. The only way it will work again is by restarting the laptop.

Is there anything that I can do (something similar to what is bolded above) on the laptop to connect to the internet without restarting?

I appreciate any help. If you don't understand what I'm asking please ask and I'll clarify.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

There should be an icon in the system tray (down near the clock) that you can right click on and select "Diagnose and repair"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bvdman89

bvdman89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the reply.

It is unable to repair it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:33 PM

Try opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig /release and press Enter. Then type ipconfig /renew and press Enter again.

Also, I'm going to move this over to the Networking forum for some more expert advice.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hi bvdman89,

The problem here is that every time you change the ethernet cord, your internet service provider sees it as a brand-new connection that needs to take place. When you turned on your laptop, with the cable plugged into it, it acquires a new IP address. When you unplug the ethernet cable, your computer is still trying to access the internet on this address. The problem is that when you plug the ethernet cable back into your computer, you are no longer able to use that IP address. This explains why you have to disconnect and reconnect on your mac - because when you do that, your computer requests permission to use a new IP address, which your internet provider duly supplies.

Restarting your comptuer also requests a new IP address, which is why this fixes the problem. You have two solutions to this which would no longer require you restarting your laptop:

1) Purchase a router, which would let you keep your mac and your laptop plugged into it at all times with a separate IP for each

2) Continue with your solution for fixing your internet connection on a mac. In terms of fixing your laptop, usasma was right to tell you to try to repair your connection, although it may have been trying to repair an inactive wireless connection. On your XP computer, click on "Start", "Control Panel", "Network Connections" and look for your "Local Area Connection". Right-click it and choose "Repair". That should get a new IP address and then your laptop should be ready to go.

#6 bvdman89

bvdman89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:22 PM

Thank you both very much for writing back.

usasma, I tried your solution but unfortunately it did not work.
When I typed in ipconfig /release:
Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its me
dia disconnected.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

When I typed in ipconfig /renew:
Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to con
tact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its me
dia disconnected.

Phantek, thank you for the explanation. Unfortunately, dorm rooms cannot use Routers. I tried your second solution as well but was given the error that is seen in the attached screenshot.
Posted Image

If there is any more advice I'm willing to try anything!

#7 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

Okay, do you have any firewalls on your computer? When you have plugged the ethernet cable to your laptop, and before you try and repair, is there a light like "Ethernet" on your modem that lights up to let you know that it sees it is connected to the computer?

Finally, do you have a Toshiba, or some other computer that has a physical switch on it to change between wireless and wired internet? If so, make sure it is set to the wired setting.

#8 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

Unfortunately, dorm rooms cannot use Routers.

Are switches allowed?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#9 bvdman89

bvdman89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

I don't have any firewalls on my computer. When the ethernet cable is plugged in, an orange light appears there. I also don't have a switch to change between wireless and wired.

I don't believe switches are allowed. Thanks for the replies.

#10 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:58 PM

You are sure that you are not even using the default Windows Firewall? No programs like Norton, Symantec, ZoneAlarm, etc?

Okay, let's try rebinding your TCP/IP. To do this, click on "Start", then "Control Panel", "Network Connections" and then find your Local Area Connection and right-click on it and choose "Properties".

Find the line that says "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" and remove the check-mark from it, then click "OK" at the bottom. After this, right-click the Local Area Connection and choose "Properties" again, and this time re-add the check-mark beside "Internet Protocol TCP/IP". Click "OK" and try connecting to the internet again. Try right-clicking Local Area Connection and choose "Repair" again, and test the internet to see if that works.

#11 bvdman89

bvdman89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you meant about a firewall. I have Norton Antivirus 2008.

I tried what you said, unfortunately it didn't work. After repairing I get the same screen (see screenshot above).

Any other suggestions?

#12 bvdman89

bvdman89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

I assume this is impossible BUT...
can I possibly connect my mac to my laptop with some type of cable and use it's internet (tethering?)

#13 bvdman89

bvdman89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

I have a laptop with bluetooth and the mac mini has built in bluetooth. Can I connect the mac mini to the internet using the laptop's internet connection via bluetooth?

#14 bvdman89

bvdman89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

Any ideas?

#15 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

Don't think you can share the Internet connection using bluetooth and I'm not sure you would want to either, I can't see that being very quick. My suggestion would be to get something like:

NETGEAR-ProSafe-5-Port-Desktop-Switch or maybe NETGEAR-GS105-ProSafe-Gigabit-Ethernet.

What you would do is plug the cable you share at the moment into that hub, then get 2 more cables and plug your 2 computers into this also, then both can use your one connection and neither have to be disconnected to use the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users