Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spam. Spam And More Spam

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:15 PM

I have a PC, 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, XP (Sp3), and OE 6.

Until about 3 weeks ago, I had BellSouth and my ISP. 3 weeks ago, I switched to RR (NC).

Before the switch, I would receive 1-2 spam messages a week. Now I receive (via RR) 20/day. I called RR help desk; they recommended that I forward to their security dept all the spam messages. I have been doing that, but I still get about 20/day. They don't appear to be coming from the same place, but the subject matter is usually the same...drugs, insurance, wealth, pet care, etc.

Is there any way I can stop this? I am not getting popups, etc.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:08 PM

I don't have RR, so this may be barking up the wrong tree.
Do you have to enable junk/spam mail filtering?
Someone who has RR service can advise you further, but in the meantime:
See if anything here helps you. (filtering section)

http://help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_rrmailSecurit...5.aspx#junkmail

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

I just checked and the junk mail filter is enabled. I looked at the messages in the junk mail folder and there are 12 (over the past 3 days). I have delivered to 'spam security,rr.com' nearly 40 in that same periond of time. What is/does the ISP spam filter do if it 'traps' only about 1 in 4 spam messages.

#4 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:41 PM

Unfortunately, SPAM is a fact of life. The more mailing lists, forums, etc you subscribe to, the more likely you are to get more spam.

Are these messages ending up in your spam folder? If they are then RR is doing their job and tagging these messages as unwanted. If they are NOT ending up in your spam folder, then RR is not catching everything being sent. You can buy an anti-spam program from you favorite technology retailer.
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

I ended up with Roadrunner when Adelphia was split up. When we were finally integrated into their server, the spam more than tripled. Obviously they don't believe in investing money in spam-filtering

Edited by garmanma, 28 August 2008 - 05:04 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

I have checked my email exactly one time since switching to RR.
It too may be full of spam.
Do you use the web mail from a browser? If so you might want to
consider using a mail client such as Thunderbird. It has built in junk
filters and works extremely well. All the spam I receive is filtered and deleted
automagically and I never see it.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Or as an alternative you can get a free GMail account. Their spam filters are
simply amazing.
http://mail.google.com/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:18 PM

I have a number of Gmail accounts. The SPAM filters are good. I find by the third report/marking a sender as SPAM, the filters take over.
One can always review the SPAM folder with gmail to check.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:27 PM

Thanks...all of you...

I have marked and reported 42 messages as spam yesterday and today. When will this stop? How do they get me email address? I have just opened/used this account for about 3 weeks. I don't remember giving anybody this (the RR account) email address.

I get no popups to speak of...just email spam. I have a gmail account also...literally no spam...great. But why can't my ISP have the same service?

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:20 AM

Because RR has a huge user population it is a prime target for spammers.
And if you happened to get a more common email address like jsmith123 or
djones25 then you are more likely to receive spam. Truthfully RR doesn't care
what email you receive, good or bad.
I have never used my RR mail account. I did find a tip from Googling:

Workaround: Don't use the Road Runner mail service; receive your mail at work or through a different ISP :thumbsup:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:28 AM

It's possible someone else could have had the name you chose and it ended up on spammers lists.
I don't know what the policies of other isp's are, but I do know that Comcast will hold a deleted user name for 90 days before releasing it back into the available name pool.
While I was looking at the link I included above, I did notice that RR mail will allow you to set message rules. You could check into that, maybe set up some rules for the mail. If there is an option for it to be deleted automatically, use that.
OR you could set up an email client, which will also allow you to create mail rules.

#11 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:40 AM

Thanks you.

I have set up 254 message rules to delete spam email in the last 3 weeks.

Does that sound excessive?

I received 22 today alone.

#12 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

I think you're missing what everyone is saying. Apparently with RR you will get a lot of spam period. There are ways around it, like a gmail or yahoo account, or you can use a mail client like T-Bird. I use yahoo mail and _none_ of the spam mail I get sneaks through (and I get about 1000 / week easily.) Switch mail providers - period. RR is my ISP as well, and I've never used their mail (quite frankly, @rr.blah.com is a little annoying as an email suffix.)
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users