Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Rip Rigamarole

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bachiatari

Bachiatari

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

I have a Gateway M675PRR with Windows XP, SP3, and WMP 10. Normally, when I insert a CD I want to rip the music from into the CD drive, a box will popup giving me the option to rip or burn or open the folder or do nothing. Simple, functional, no problems at all.

Today I inserted an official music CD, and suddenly, it launches this screen-wide flash-type show of some sort. Never seen anything like that before, ever. In the Task Manager, under applications, it simply says "START" with a generic-looking blue and white box icon. I quit whatever the heck that was, and opened WMP, and tried to rip the music, but the window froze, and the program was duplicated in the Task Manager, which said it wasn't responding. I ended the task, and tried to eject the CD via right-click, but the "Eject" option wasn't there. I tried pressing the button to eject the CD manually, but no response whatsoever. I had to restart the computer, whereupon I was able to manually eject the CD.

On my next try, I opened WMP first thing, full mode, on the rip screen, then inserted the CD. The music showed up, and I think it was at this point that I actually got it to rip. After that though, again, the CD Drive is nonexistent and can't be ejected. I try restarting again, and suddenly, Windows will not even begin to shut down. I had to manually shut off the computer, and press the button to start it up again, which it thankfully did.

Also, I should mention that before the ripping worked, I got an error message saying "Windows cannot play this in digital mode, must switch to analog mode. Visualizations are not available."

This actually isn't the first time Windows has failed to recognize the CD Drive; it did that even with the Microsoft Office CD after I'd reinstalled Windows XP the first time. And I had similar problems with CD ripping when I had WMP 11 installed. I rolled it back to 10. Well, technically, it somehow automatically rolled back to 9, and then I had to upgrade it to 10.

I really have no bleeping clue what's going on here. Please help! Unfortunately, I am in no position to reinstall Windows again or anything drastic like that. Is there a driver I can simply reinstall or something like that?

Edit: I checked out the CD/DVD-Rom drive in the Device Manager, tried updating the driver, but it said it couldn't find anything better than what I had. And obviously recognized it in the first place, which is even more frustrating. It's apparently an "HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4040N" if that makes any difference.

Edited by Bachiatari, 28 August 2008 - 02:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadAmos

MadAmos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:18 PM

I am very interested in any information on this as I recently experienced the same problem when attempting to rip a cd. I ended up uninstalling the driver from the device manager and then restarting which reinstalled the driver and now my DVD drive works again. i checked and this was not one of the infamous Sony rootkit discs but it does indicate on the cover that it "contains extra content" or similar wording as I recall.

Amos

#3 Bachiatari

Bachiatari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

Well, this CD was Rock Steady by No Doubt and it says "Interscope Records", so...

Edit: Wait, SONY Rootkit discs? WHAT? o.o;

Edited by Bachiatari, 28 August 2008 - 09:46 PM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:22 AM

A couple of years ago in an effort to thwart piracy, Sony put stuff on CDs that installed a rootkit on your computer. I think they were fined for this foolishness.

#5 MadAmos

MadAmos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

There is more information on the $ony rootkit debacle here. The disc that gave me trouble was "Drops of Jupiter, Train" I was finally able to rip it but it was a couple months ago and I forget what I did but it involved making sure that auto run was disabled. The jewel box has a sticker on it that says "includes free multimedia" and I think there is something that tries to run when the disc is inserted that is corrupted or just plain old borked that causes the problem. I have not been interested in trying again but since this came up it is bugging me so later today I will try and rip it in my testing box and see what happens in more detail.

Additional: I just tried the Train disc in my test bed and it did open a macromedia application named cdextras in the task manager and if I let it run quite a while it eventually did offer a few minimal functions I chose the close option then opened WMP 11 and it ripped with no problem this time. I spoke with my wife and she remembered that we were able to rip the disc originally after cleaning it (it was a used disc). I found I had two No Doubt CD's Return to Saturn and Tragic Kingdom which both ripped normally so I am not sure what happened other than suggesting that you clean the disc and try again. Also I would open WMP before you insert the disc. I would love to hear what happens.

Edited by MadAmos, 29 August 2008 - 11:38 AM.

#6 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

You may want to try EAC (Exact Audio Copy). It takes quite some time to get set up, but it's worth it because it's an advanced CD ripper capable of extracting audio with minimal errors from even scratched up discs. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
For burning CD's on XP I use Burrrn and InfraRecorder.

#7 Bachiatari

Bachiatari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:43 AM

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, if I have WMP open before I insert the disc, it seems to work fine. I think that pop-up show thing might've been related to Quicktime or something. I thought I saw an apple or a Q after a few clicks. But anyway, everything appears to be in order now.

BlackBurst: Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try those!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users