Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Adsl Light Keeps On Blinking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 harsiya

harsiya

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

Hi, I have D Link GLB-502T modem. I have wired broadband internet connection. When i started my modem, the ADSL light on it keeps on blinking, because of which i cannot get access to internet. I spoke with my Internet Service Provider regarding fault in wiring, but he said its allright. Then i tried one thing that is removing power supply cable of modem and restarting the computer. Then when computer restarts and you see desktop insert the power supply and all other cables connected to the modem. This helps and you get access to internet but many times it does not. Also I have tracking cookies infected on my computer. Is it because of this cookies the modem is not able to function properly or there is something else ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:17 PM

Tracking cookies are 'normal' and nothing to worry about - they will not affect your modem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracking_cookie.)

When you do not have access to the internet, what is your ip address (Start > Run > type 'cmd' and press enter > type "ipconfig/all")
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

#3 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:03 PM

Which other lights are there on the modem?

I am not familiar with your specific modem and had trouble locating it on D-link's website. Despite that, the ADSL light on modems is usually used to indicate that there is a physical connection to the equipment with your internet service provider (at least, that is the case with most ADSL modems). I would recommend you take a look at your modem's manual to see what the "ADSL" light indicates.

If that is what the ADSL light means, you would need to get the issue resolved with your internet service provider. It is either a problem with their equipment or with your internal wiring... or the modem itself. Usually there would be an "Ethernet" light that would indicate whether or not the modem has a connection to the computer, but please do check your manual to be sure.

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

I have an ADSL Modem, and the light blinks, at different speeds.
Mine is a Speedstream,but would guess they are much the same.
Only indicates activity.
Watch when you update, or download, the light will blink rapidly. :thumbsup:

#5 kokes

kokes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

I have an ADSL Modem, and the light blinks, at different speeds.
Mine is a Speedstream,but would guess they are much the same.
Only indicates activity.
Watch when you update, or download, the light will blink rapidly. :thumbsup:

If continuous blinking occurs, at different speeds, (seems to be just the cable activity light and the pclink light) when I'm not even using the computer, does that mean I've been hacked and someone is accessing my computer then?

#6 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

It depends there are connections that require constant tranmission. Most AU ISPs do this.

Also you might want to check whats going on the modem by logging on to its GUI and check the log it generates.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users