Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Blue Screen Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Help Me 101

Help Me 101

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

My brother has downloaded this thing on the computer which I think has virus or something. Well, the computer froze so my Aunt restarted it. But when we turn it on, it shows "Dell" and "Microsoft XP Home Edition" and then this Blue Screen Error Message Comes up.

It says something about Restarting and putting into Safe Mode, I've already tried it but even in Safe Mode, the Blue Error Message still comes up.

Here's what it says on the Blue Screen:

"A problem has been detected and windows have been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows update you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode"

HERE'S SOME SCREENSHOTS OF THE BLUE SCREEN
Spoiler

Edited by Help Me 101, 28 August 2008 - 12:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frostbyte

frostbyte

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

omg.. its the blue screen of death. :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;555302

Unmountable Boot Volume in Windows XP ( WINXP ) - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/wi...unmountable.htm

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

The first steps for trying to fix an Unmountable Boot Volume error is to use the Recovery Console (how-to here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ )

Once in the recovery console, try these 3 commands (press Enter after each one - and answer Y for Yes when it asks you if you're sure)

FIXMBR
FIXBOOT
CHKDSK /R

Once chkdsk /r is finished, try rebooting into Windows. If you still get the error, try running a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

^Thanks for the replies.

I would try to do them. But they seem complicated. Will there be any risks if I accidentally do something wrong with the command things?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:34 AM

There is ALWAYS an inherent risk...when doing anything in this world. The past is no assurance about the future, especially so in computing.

That's one of the reasons why...backup strategies should be important and a permanent part of every computer user's thinking.

<<...accidentally do something wrong...>>

There are two things in that phrase which stand out, IMO..."accidentally" and "wrong." Both of those words spark negative images in my mind, based on life experiences...no one in her/his right mind is going to try to guarantee situations involving both of those words.

Bottom line: Guidance has been provided on how others (including myself) deal with this situation when it arises (for whatever reason) on computer systems. That's the best that any of us can be expected to provide, IMO.

Louis

#7 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:23 AM

^Thanks.

I've got one more problem, I seem to have lost the Windows XP installation CD. Is there any way to do it without the CD

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

There are several ways to run chkdsk /r.

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Running it from the Recovery Console is the way to do it when user cannot boot into Windows.

The RC is available as an .iso file that can be run on CD, Install Recovery Console without an XP CD - http://www.tweakxp.com/article36941.aspx To burn this file to CD, I use ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

Once burned, go into BIOS...change boot option so system boots from CD drive...insert burned CD, reboot.

Once in the RC and able to enter commands...type chkdsk /r and let it do what it does.

Louis

#9 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

^Thanks. The download for the Recovery Console doesnt seem to work.

Is there any other place to download from?

#10 oldkrow2008

oldkrow2008

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:50 PM

Here is where I got it. it is a direct DL.

http://www.markharding.com/xp_recovery_cd/recovery.iso

Also it is available on most window XP disks and will give you the option to repair Windows with the letter R once it has loaded completely.

I will say that the commands that usasma provided you to help with your UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error is a pretty cut and dry procedure. There is always risk but what is your alternative at this point. It isn't even booting into safe mode so unless you try you may find it very difficult to get into the Windows environment. With that said at worst case scenario you would need to bring it in and have it worked on and the data in almost any case like this can be retrieved for a cost.

The first two commands merely work to help fix the problem. The third does too but it checks your drive for bad problems and and tries to fix them if it finds any. If you mistype the commands it will just give you an error, if you type them correctly then good stuff will happen, just let it do its thing. It may not fix your issue but it is a start that could have great results.

The recovery console will load after you press R, it might ask for an administrator password if you don't know it hit return. Then it will find where your windows is loaded and then just push 1

At that point you can execute those commands and when it's done doing its magic (it may take a while.) type exit and reboot.

LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users