Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop - Wireless web connection?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alexcraw

alexcraw

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:35 AM

I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite Pro Notebook without and Wireless capability. I am connected to AOL Platinum at 2Mb/ps with a BT broadband modem connected via the USB.

I want to connect using a wireless modem.

How would this be possible?

I have heard that it is possible using a USB device which is wirelessly connected to a Router/Modem combo. The D-Link variety I have spotted, which looks like a USB memory stick, I'm told is not compatible with AOL. Some have said it should be compatible. Which product is compatible with AOL and will give me this USB wireless connectivity.

This is the description:

The D-Link DSL-904 bundle includes D-Link DSL-G604T 54Mbps Wireless Router & D-Link DWL-G122 USB Adapter

D-Link's DSL-G604T 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Router is five products in one; combining a high-performance ADSL modem, router, 10/100 LAN switch, 54Mbps 802.11g wireless access point, and True Stateful Packet Inspection Firewall.

D-Link DWL-G122 54Mbps Wireless USB Adapter allows your USB equipped PC to communicate at wireless speed up to 54Mbps.
D-Link DSL-G604T 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Router
The D-Link DSL-G604T features the very latest in advanced wireless silicon chip technology including enhanced security to shield and protect your wireless communication from intruders. The DSL-G604T also includes D-Link’s own robust firewall security features. The D-Link DSL-G604T is ideal for those creating their first wireless network, as well as for more advanced users looking for additional management settings and policy-based content filtering. Filters can be set based on MAC address, IP address, URL and/or Domain Name.

D-Link DWL-GG122 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
The D-Link DWL-G122 is a high-performance 802.11g wireless LAN USB adapter that connects your computer to a high-speed wireless LAN. This adapter simply plugs to your computer through a fast USB 2.0 interface to provide up to 54Mbps wireless speed. With industry standard interoperability, backward compatibility with 802.11b devices and plug-and-play installation, this adapter is an ideal solution for notebook and laptop PC users needing fast and standard mobile network connection.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:54 AM

Does the AOL modem have an ethernet port as well? The best scenario would be to get a cable/dsl wireless router (linksys or other variety) and then a wireless card for the laptop.

You would then connect the aol modem to the router, and your laptop connects via wireless to the router. The router acts like a firewall also.

#3 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:39 AM

I have a DLink G604T wireless modem/router which works very well in conjunction with a Belkin 54G wireless card in the PICMA slot of my laptop. I see PCWorld (UK) are offering this modem/router with a wireless receiver which fits in a USB port (this is probably the bundle you refer to) at a cheaper price than I paid for the modem alone!

I don't see any reason why it would not work with AOL 9.0, I know someone who uses ordinary BT modem drivers (rather than the dedicated ones which come with the AOL package) with their AOL broadband installation without any problems.

You must have an ethernet port on your laptop to configure the DLink in the first place but once set up and the card installed the cable is redundant.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users