Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms Office Tries To Configure For Extras I Don't Have *every* Time I Boot Up Or Open A Word, Excel Or Powerpoint File How Do I Make It Stop?!?!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 optimistic77

optimistic77

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hi, I wonder if anyone can suggest a fix for this...

I'm running XP Pro with SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 notebook. For about a year now, every time I boot up my computer or click on a Word, Excel or Powerpoint document to open it, I small window titled "Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage" opens, containing the message
"Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage"

Then another window opens, telling me "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.
Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'PROPLUS.MSI' in the box below." and there's a 'Use Source' field with a dropdown menu, as well as Browse, OK and Cancel buttons.

When I click on Cancel, a third window appears with the message "Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required files. Check your connection to the network, or CD-ROM drive. For other potential solutions to this problem, see C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Office 10\1033\SETUP.HLP." but that's just a help article titled Troubleshooting Installation from Compact Disc Media, which I'm not trying to do...

I think this may have happened because the copies of these applications run on my university's computer network have MS Office extras installed that my copies don't (obviously FrontPage but I've seen the EndNote toolbar enabled on there too, and there could be others) and I've created a document on that software which I later copied to and opened on my own computer, sending the software looking for the missing extras. I don't have any means of installing FrontPage, although if it will solve this problem I don't mind having it, but I don't need it and don't want to have to shell out for it just to prevent this problem from happening, so if there somewhere from where I can download what I need I'd love to hear about it. However, there must be some way to just instruct my software to stop asking for the extras on start up. Can anyone suggest anything?? I'm REALLY sick of this!!

Many thanks for any suggestions folks ;-D
Optimistic77

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:42 PM

First make sure it's not listed in Add/Remove Programs. Then download the Widows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

CAUTION Be sure to check ONLY the box by the MS Office product that you want to remove, which would be Front Page

TRY THIS FIRST http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182876

Edited by garmanma, 28 August 2008 - 08:51 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:13 PM

What I would do is contact the system administrator of the University computers. Clearly, if you're connected to the server and it runs ok, they should install whatever your files require on your computer as well. At least how it's where I work - if pieces are missing on a laptop, they just push few updates to those laptops so people can work disconnected from the servers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users