Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod 0x8e

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Leal S

Leal S

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:43 AM

Laptop completely crashed on Saturday and gave a stop message as follows:

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0C0000005, 0XBF803EB6, 0XBA2177C4, 0X00000000
Win32k.sys Address BF803EB6 base at BF800000, datestamp 47e0e106

Fairly general message suggesting maybe drivers or memory are the problem I donít know.

Currently cannot boot from the HDD in any capacity, just returns to the stop message. If I try booting from the windows CD once I accept the license agreement the screen just goes blue displays four question marks and thatís all folks. Even up until that point it doesn't really look as it should.

Only thing that will boot in any way shape or form is the Norton CD. This seems to work fine and the virus scan and chdsk donít seem to show any problems. I can even explore the C: using Norton and everything looks in order.

Iím not ruling out a virus as the Norton disk is 2.5 years old and so wonít have any updates since then. Other thing I think is maybe it doesnít have enough memory to even boot windows from the CD.

Iím more than happy to wipe the entire thing clean and start again but I just need something that can do this that will actually run.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:00 AM

Tried accessing the Recovery Console on the XP CD?

I'd do that and try to run chkdsk /r on the boot partition.

Using a Norton SW disk that's 3 years old...is probably not going to produce useful information. Disregarding the lack of possible efficacy of the AV portion...there have been various updates to the other functions included on that CD.

Louis

#3 Leal S

Leal S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

Cheers Hamluis

Unfortunately cant even get to the Recovery Console on the XP CD. All I get from the XP CD is a blue screen with four question marks on it and not much else.

The Norton disk is not ideal I know but at the moment its the only thing that will actually boot the computer even if it is just to access the utilities on that particular CD.

Wondering if I have some RAM issues i.e. enough RAM to run an ancient Norton CD but not enough to run XP.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

Worth a loook, http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50966

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users