Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvi And Dsub Dual Input Conflict

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brus brother

brus brother

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:28 AM

I have a Norwood LX961 monitor with a DVI and DSub input and would like to connect two computers to the monitor using DVI for one and DSub for the other.
I have an Apple G4 hooked to the DVI and a PC hooked to the DSub and each works well independently but if I try to have both computers on at the same time, the DSub input overrides the DVI input.
I use the source switch on the monitor to switch back to DVI but after a second, the DSub input overrides the switch again.
Any suggestions appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:08 AM

Why don't you use a KVM switch? You use 2 computers with one monitor, mouse, and keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817394013
You can also get them to switch between speakers and USB and for 2 to 4 comoputers. You can do more, but you're getting uo there in price
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 brus brother

brus brother
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the link.
I'm not sure that would accomplish my goals AND in conversation with Belkin, their switch only works with 2 DVI inputs when trying to combine Mac and PC on one monitor. Unfortunately my older PC only has VGA.
Anyone else?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:40 PM

You could use a VGA to DVI-I adapter. You will need to have the VGA as Male and the DVI-I as male so you can plug one end into the computer and a cable into the adapter. The adapter needs to be DVI-I so it will have the 4 analog pins which will transmit the analog signal from the VGA port. I am not sure if this will be compatible with the Belkin KVM switch. You could use a DVI-I to VGA adapter to convert your G4 to analog although you would loose the digital quality but gain the use of both computers on one monitor.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 02 September 2008 - 03:41 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users