Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Put More Ram On My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:19 AM

My computer is slow as heck. Im am currently getting help to clean my cpu here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic155317-15.html but I only have 512MB of RAM and the person helping me says that may be the problem. So my question is how so I upgrade? Where is the best place to buy the RAM online? How much should I buy and how do I install it? I never opened a computer in my life so this will be a first for me. Thanks in advance for your help. I do understand I cant do this until my hijack log is finished but I can at least purchase it and learn how to install it and have it readu to go. Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:43 AM

You can go to Crucial and run their scan and see what they suggest. Crucial makes some of the best modules out there, so you trust purchasing from them.

If you can provide us with the make and model of your computer I will see if I can find a tutorial that will explain how to install the module/s. It makes a difference if this is a laptop or a desktop.

Edited by dc3, 28 August 2008 - 04:28 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:17 AM

You can go to Crucial and run their scan and see what they suggest. Crucial makes some of the best modules out there, so you trust purchasing from them.

If you can provide us with the make and model of you computer I will see if I can find a tutorial that will explain how to install the module/s. It makes a difference if this is a laptop or a desktop.

Suggestion?

Download Belarc from the below Site, run it and copy the Results, but do not Post it on here, rather send it by Personal Message to dc3, a Respected Member, for him to read it and advise you.

The reason for this is it contains Information that you certainly would not want to be Public, such as Posted on a Forum, neither would we want you to Post it. The Information you send to dc3 will remain confidential, but he can advise us of revelant information that may assist you if he can't. He would only use specific information that would not disclose your Private Information.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

The Program is quick and easy and provides a fingerprint of your Computer if ever stolen.

:thumbsup:

#4 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:17 AM

Thank you recluse. I actually just moved from Az to Pa and seen a few brown recluses. They are scary spiders that can put you on the hospital. IM not sure if that is what your name refers to or not. I have a dell desktop celeron D. Im not sure if I can do that scan if im in the middle of a hijack log. I will ask the person assisting me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Abicus, when I find out if this is ok I will run this scan. Thank you for your help. Its greatly appreciated..

Edited by chugg, 28 August 2008 - 04:19 AM.

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:22 AM

Thank you recluse. I actually just moved from Az to Pa and seen a few brown recluses. They are scary spiders that can put you on the hospital. IM not sure if that is what your name refers to or not. I have a dell desktop celeron D. Im not sure if I can do that scan if im in the middle of a hijack log. I will ask the person assisting me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Abicus, when I find out if this is ok I will run this scan. Thank you for your help. Its greatly appreciated..

Just finish HJT before you even think of doing another thing, Mate!

The people assisting you are the Best, but if you make the slightest change it throws out whatever they are trying to do for you. just be Patient!

Edited by Abacus 7, 28 August 2008 - 04:24 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:44 AM

Hi Chugg, Actually the recluse is more of a statement of my social status, or lack there of, as of late...yeah, sad. My user name is dc3. :thumbsup:

Running the scan isn't going to alter what is going on with your HJT log, nor should adding RAM change anything. You don't want to do anything that is going to alter your operating system, files, or applications.

This tutorial is a good one, it even has pictures so that you can see what you are dealing with.

The only thing that I'll mention is that you will need to be aware that static electricity can wipe out a RAM module, so before you handle the new module/s or touch anything inside the case you need to discharge yourself to grounded metal, like the metal of the inside of your computer case. The modules are keyed, this means that they will only go in one way, just observe where the notch/es are and align these to the socket. When you insert the module into the slot apply pressure at both ends and press it into the slot till the latches at either end snap up. This a plug and play installation, this means that once the modules are properly seated in the slot that is all there is to it, you are ready to use it as soon as you close the case.

Edited by dc3, 28 August 2008 - 05:00 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:53 AM

Download Belarc from the below Site, run it and copy the Results, but do not Post it on here, rather send it by Personal Message to dc3, a Respected Member, for him to read it and advise you.

Abacus7, I appreciate your wanting to get involved and help others, that is what it's all about here. But please don't ask members to PM me with information. One of the purposes for these forums is so that others can learn by reading how others are finding solutions to their problems or questions. If these are addressed in a PM we are cheating others out of the chance to participate of learn. If you suggest that someone post the information of Belarc you should advise them that the should remove and personal information before posting it in a public forum. :thumbsup:

Thanks, dc3

Edited by dc3, 28 August 2008 - 04:55 AM.

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:22 AM

Abacus7, I appreciate your wanting to get involved and help others, that is what it's all about here. But please don't ask members to PM me with information. One of the purposes for these forums is so that others can learn by reading how others are finding solutions to their problems or questions. If these are addressed in a PM we are cheating others out of the chance to participate of learn. If you suggest that someone post the information of Belarc you should advise them that the should remove and personal information before posting it in a public forum. :huh:

Thanks, dc3

Whilst I appreciate what you say and agree with most of it, I was concerned that the Member may have inadvertently given away information that could be detrimental to them, due to inexperience.

As we both know Belarc does give a Fingerprint of a Computer and Copies of a Scan can be used by Scammers to Deadly effect. I am quite new here, so is there an Area where these Scans can be placed to ensure that people's integraty is not jepodised? I apologise for directing the Scan toward you, it was not to intend to subvert the workings of this Forum, just to ensure someone was not predjuced by my actions to their detriment. I knew you was a Safe person to direct something like this toward. I asumed you would then link the Information that was not detrimental to the Member back onto the Forum, so we could continue to Help. If that is not the Case, should BC not have a Section where that could happen?

If I acted inappropriately, I apoligise.

Edited by Abacus 7, 28 August 2008 - 05:45 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:44 AM

Abacus, you haven't done anything inappropriate, and I can and do appreciate your concern about the unfamiliar opening them selves to potential trouble. Unfortunately there isn't any place that a non-staff member can post anything that the rest of the members can't see. The best that we can do is to spot these postings when they happen and have the information removed and explain why this has been done to the member, and by members like yourself setting an example in what should be omitted.

dc3

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:51 AM

Just a Suggestion?

Just a small Section set up for sensetive stuff like this?

This is a Magic Forum, you know the Scammers watch it in Force, Mate.

It can be set up in Staff Section so only Staff see it. It could be called something like "Sensitive Issues" inward Posts could be made by Members, but nothing else, take it up with Management?

Edited by Abacus 7, 28 August 2008 - 05:56 AM.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:40 AM

As we both know Belarc does give a Fingerprint of a Computer and Copies of a Scan can be used by Scammers to Deadly effect. I am quite new here, so is there an Area where these Scans can be placed to ensure that people's integraty is not jepodised? I apologise for directing the Scan toward you, it was not to intend to subvert the workings of this Forum, just to ensure someone was not predjuced by my actions to their detriment. I knew you was a Safe person to direct something like this toward. I asumed you would then link the Information that was not detrimental to the Member back onto the Forum, so we could continue to Help. If that is not the Case, should BC not have a Section where that could happen?

There is no need to run Belarc to find out about the memory. The link to Crucial will do just fine. Then there would be no reason to be concerned about private info.
As far as your suggestion I responded to your other post
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

Ok,
I am now done with my hijack log and need more ram badly. At least a believe this is what I need. Here is a link to my hijack forum. You can see on there that the peson helping me told me this is what I need. My computer is so slow that It is taking me at least twice the time to do my work. Sometimes it takes several minutes just to open an outlook email. Can someone please help me find out my needs?

Edited by chugg, 22 September 2008 - 03:43 PM.

#13 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

The crucial link up toward the top will do fine. If you would like to shop around for different brands, there is a memory configurator on www.newegg.com too.

#14 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:42 PM

I ran this scan and it says i need 2 gb of memory. I tried to do a print screen but it isnt working. I was under the impression that I needed ram. Is that the same thing as memory? Anyone know why my print screen isnt working. I am hitting print screen and then coming here and hitting control V and it isnt soming up.

Edited by chugg, 22 September 2008 - 10:46 PM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:58 PM

The memory in this case is RAM.

What scan did you run?

Edited by dc3, 22 September 2008 - 11:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users