Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using images in mail

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rebel

Rebel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:29 AM

Many times I've copied images and animated gifs from online and pasted them into an email, only to have them turn into a little square box of nothing when sent.
I suppose it has something to do with linking to the site, which I know I shouldn't do. Therefore I've tried saving the files to my drive and then using it, but it still doesn't work. Would it help to have a website where I can store these images and then link to them on my own site or what? I don't want a website. I don't have a home computer, I'm on a public access terminal, so there's nowhere to store anything.

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:15 AM

What E-mail client do you use?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:51 AM

I don't fully understand your question but perhaps a free image hosting service would help?
Try Posted Image
You upload your image or animated gif to this site and use the links provided to put the image in emails or bulletin boards etc.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:24 PM

Rimmer,
If I read it right, I think he's trying to imbed a picture, that he copied off of the net and saved to his harddrive, into the body of his E-mail.

I may be wrong, though.

If he uses Outlook Express, I can help.
That's why I wanted to know what he uses to send E-mail.

Edited by tg1911, 22 April 2005 - 12:26 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Rebel

Rebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:27 PM

Most recently this occurred with Gmail, but has happened with other providers in the past. I tested the messages first by sending myself a copy, but when I opened them the image was gone. In a recent email I was sending a shipping confirmation for an Amazon.com order. It was for a Shrek 2 DVD, so I copied a Picture off Google to add to the bottom of the email. When I sent it, the pic was replaced by an image icon. Could the image be too large for the email?
I think Rimmer's suggestion sound like what I was thinking I may need. I've assumed that since I was copying the images from another site then pasting them into my mail,that for whatever reason the link was broken when the message was sent and all the recipient could see was a little icon where the image should be.
So I thought if I could upload the images to a site, then I may be able to use them with no problems, I just wasn't sure what kind of account or where. I've seen notices that say not to link to the graphics site, so I'd rather have them hosted elsewhere. I thought maybe I could save them on a site like SpyMac or Yahoo that lets you upload lots of files.
This has happened with jpegs and animated gifs. I've used several gifs from UselessGraphics.com, which I recommend although their support is non-existent as far as I can tell. I hope this clears it up a little.

Thanks for the input so far.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:20 PM

Why not simply attach the pictures to the Email? Some, like GMail, will strip embedded items for the sake of security, and many receivers will only receive in plain text, for that very reason. For business mail, the attachment of pictures in your signature, is not recommended, as it wastes bandwidth and serves no real purpose.
Regards,
John.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Rebel

Rebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:38 PM

I don't want it to be an attachment.
I want the recipient to just see it as part of the letter. I really don't care about bandwidth-it doesn't take much for a 15KB image to load anymore.
Sometimes I add something like a nice "thank you" image to the letter. I don't want them to have to open an attachment, and if they're smart they wouldn't open it anyway.
I'm not a business, I'm just a guy who sells a few unwanted items from time to time and I do it to add a bit of pleasantness to my messages.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:23 PM

So did you try imageshack (or photobucket) and put the 'friends' link in the email?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:34 PM

i would suggest photobucket. A free program that can hold a lot of pictures for you and give you links for them to put on websites, e-mail and many other things.

#10 Rebel

Rebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:23 PM

I haven't had time yet to do much of anything. I don't own a computer yet so I have to cram everything I want to do into what little time I can get at the Library. I'm currently shopping for a Mac and looking forward to learning a new OS. I plan to try ImageShack though. :thumbsup:

#11 Rebel

Rebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:57 AM

Well, I discovered today that Gmail does not allow images in its mail.

Easy solution to the problem: find another mail provider. Back to Yahoo! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users