Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4 Gb Of Ram Installed, Only 2.3 Gb Detected.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VeXxiS+

VeXxiS+

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:29 PM

My new custom PC has 4 GB (2 x 2GB) of Corsair RAM installed. In dxdiag, it says that only 2302 MB is detected. I do understand that Windows XP only detects around 3.2 GB - even with 4 GB installed - but I think it should be detecting more than 2.3 GB. I thought that one of the RAM sticks was broken, so I tested each one individually. This is what happened:

1. Removed one RAM stick and left one in:

-2046 MB found in dxdiag.

2. Inserted the other RAM stick and removed the one in the last test:

-2046 MB found in dxdiag.

3. Inserted the other RAM stick in the corresponding slot to the stick in the last test (2 x 2 GB inserted):

-2302 MB found in dxdiag.

Seems that both RAM sticks are individually working fine, but together are a problem. I really don't know what else to do to fix this problem. Any help offered will be appreciated.

My machine's specs are:

Manufacturer:
NVIDIA
Processor:
Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory:
2302MB RAM
Hard Drive:
500 GB
Video Card:
2 SLi'ed NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX
Monitor:
Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card:
SB X-Fi Audio [7C00]
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
Motherboard: EVGA nforce 780i SLI Socket 775 Motherboard

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KikassAssassin

KikassAssassin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:53 PM

The amount of RAM that Windows XP (and all 32-bit operating systems) can access is dependent on the amount of memory address space that other hardware in your system is using (this includes video card memory, hard drive cache, processor cache, etc). All of those together can only add up to 4GB.

Since you have two video cards in your system, each using a chunk of your system's memory address space for its on-board video memory, you'll have less memory address space left over for Windows to use for your RAM memory than you would if you only had a single video card. This probably accounts for the smaller amount of RAM memory Windows is reporting.

#3 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:20 AM

In easy 5 words its:Just upgrade to 64-bit Windows

#4 VeXxiS+

VeXxiS+
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:33 PM

In easy 5 words its:Just upgrade to 64-bit Windows

This is exactly what I thought would be the solution. Thanks for reassuring. =]

#5 newarrior

newarrior

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:54 PM

I'm having a similar issue. It's only detecting 2.5g out of 4g, and both chips detect the full 2.0g when installed individually. I only have one mid-range video card, and nothing else that would take away from the 4.0g limit. Is there a way to figure out what's taking up that 4.0g?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:00 PM

FWIW: The 4GB Windows Memory Limit What does it really mean - http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?id=69 AND http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platf...PAE/PAEmem.mspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archive/2007...am-problem.aspx

Louis

#7 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

Well, as i said memory limits not exist, Windows 32-bit takes smaller amount of RAM and they dont need 4 GB, 64-bit may take 3 GB of 4 if you run very many apps, 32-bit only take 1 of 2 GB

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:09 AM

I have 4GB of RAM installed on my other system...with XP Home...and I see (My Computer/Properties) 3.37GB of RAM. If you search the Web, you will see that any number of persons with 4GB and 32-bit XP...will vary within the limits expressed in one of the two links.

As noted in the link previously provided, the amount reflected will vary with 32-bit Windows.

Louis

#9 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

I have 4GB of RAM installed on my other system...with XP Home...and I see (My Computer/Properties) 3.37GB of RAM. If you search the Web, you will see that any number of persons with 4GB and 32-bit XP...will vary within the limits expressed in one of the two links.

As noted in the link previously provided, the amount reflected will vary with 32-bit Windows.

Louis

I dont worry about these limits.My windows Vista H Prem SP1 64 bit running on 4 GB :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users