Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CDROM trouble....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cherylisfun

cherylisfun

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:52 AM

Hello. I think I really messed something up.
My CDrom wasn't working so I decided to investigate based on some advice I
seen given to someone else. =/ I went into device manager and removed
the "cdrom" stuff....there was 3things...then I rebooted and it was totally gone.
Is it gone forever. is there anything I can do? I don't think I will experiment
anymore. =/
Thank you in advance for any help.
-Cheryl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:35 AM

Hi Cheryl,
So in Device Manager you had three CDROM devices listed and you deleted (not disabled) them all. Is that correct? How many CD or DVD devices did you really have?

You need to look in the BIOS to see if your CDROM is being recognised. Diferent computers have different ways of accessing the BIOS but the most common is to hit the 'Delete' key just as the computer is starting.
When you are in the BIOS you have no mouse control it is only arrow keys and a few other keys that work. 'Enter' to select a menu option. If you go somewhere you don't want to be 'Esc' will get you out again.
In the first page of the BIOS, called 'Basic Configuration' or something like that you should see the date and time and a list of 4 possible IDE devices. Channel 0 master and slave and channel 1 master and slave. Your hard drive should be channel 0 master, and your CDROM should be listed in one of the other positions.
If it is not listed it is either not properly connected or it is defective. If it is defective then you need to replace the CDROM drive. If it is listed we need to look at other possibilities.

Let us know how you go. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 amylauren

amylauren

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:44 PM

EDITED: I'm sorry. I'm not usually this computer illiterate.

Edited by amylauren, 23 April 2005 - 11:46 PM.

#4 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:24 AM

U should not try a solution given for another problem for u'r problem. Its extremely dangerous.

Answer Rimmer's questions, and u can get help on u'r problem.

jbravo.

#5 amylauren

amylauren

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:26 PM

No, I know, but I accidentally posted my original question about my own system in this thread instead of starting my own.

#6 cherylisfun

cherylisfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:21 PM

Thank you for your reply RIMMER, I had to work doubles on both Friday and
Saturday so I haven't had the time to come back.

In reply to your question, Yes there were 3 things in the CD spot....I "removed"
all 3. I have/had only 1 cd rom.

Now I checked the Basic Configuration like you said and it says the CD rom
is not installed. =/

Another thing, before I did this, as I said the cd rom had not been working, when
I turned on the computer before windows started a message would come up on
the umm I think ?DOS?screen saying something about "an error on line 3 for the cd rom"....now since I "removed" it I get a message saying something about
"Votex DOS Audiodriver...installtion port 5"....I'm not sure if that means anything
or eve has anything to do with this......

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:38 PM

If your CDROM is not listed in the BIOS and you have not changed anything internally in the PC, and it used to work, then your CD had passed away. Please give it a brief but solemn funeral.
Then go out and buy another one, or a burner, or a DVD drive, or a combo DVD burner, etc. Check the system requirements though as some require Win98SE as minimum.

The error messages are coming from your autoexec.bat and config.sys files which are trying to load programs for the CDROM which isn't there, hence the errors. Are you running Win95 or Win98?

You can view (and edit) these files using Start>Run type "sysedit". Don't change anything at this stage please.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 cherylisfun

cherylisfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:14 AM

I kind of figured the CD ROM was dead...just wishful thinking I guess.
I am running windows98.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users