Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

welcome screen help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iceangel

iceangel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:16 AM

When Windows Xp starts up it welcomes you with a nice little welcome screen, shows you the cute little picture you use to identify yourself, and tells you that you have X number of programs running.

Today, for the first time, the welcome screen is telling me that I have an email waiting for me. Which is nice, but I can't find the bleeping thing.

So far, I've checked Microsoft Outlook, with no luck. I dug through the Windows help center, but was unable to find anything useful, I've searched my computer for any reference to the sender's name, but nothing!

So if anybody out there has Any idea what email this welcome screen is talking about, and cares to share the answer with me,... I owe you my sanity.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:36 AM

Hi iceangel, :thumbsup: to BC

The problem you are having is not an uncommon thing to have happen. The email counter in WinXP getting stuck.

The easiest way to fix it is to download TweakUI from Microsoft, it has a feature to reset this counter for you. You may download TweakUI here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx

Once you install the program, open it and select Repair and then on the drop down menu, select Repair unread mail count then click on the Repair Now button and it will fix the problem.

This little program is something that Microsoft really should have made a part of Windows XP instead of offering it a separate download. It offers you a lot of options to customize (tweak) your computer in a safe way.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:34 AM

Do you still have Outlook Express on the machine as well? You might open it and see if there's a message in there.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:46 AM

What program did you set up for your default email account?

Outlook? Outlook Express? Some other program?

#5 Compfu Kid

Compfu Kid

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:48 AM

Don't forget email that might be associated with MSN Messenger ;)

Hiya!

Compfu Kid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users