Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect To My Neighbor?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Renamon

Renamon

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

Hi. I recently was given an 06 DELL comuter by my neighbor. I am trying to get internet to it before school starts in about a week, and I can't get a home router just yet. The same neighbor said I can connect to his network (Since the computer oddly has a laptop wireless card from Belkin with it.)

Here's the problem:

His network is encrypted, and his network key is only dots. When Verison installed FIOS, they put in the key, and he doesn't know it. How do we un-hide the network key so I can make a connection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

If you want to get your Neighbors Protection Code on his Router, then ask him to type 192.168.1.1 on a Browser on his Computer and this should let him access the Router sometimes there is a Box that will come up asking for a Username and Password usually this is admin and admin for both the password and username. You may have to look at the manual to double check though.

Once you have access to the Router Settings go through the options available till you find Wireless Security the WEP or WPA key you need will be there and will be marked accordingly as to what Key is being used.

Hopefully this should help you.

Edited by woodyblade, 27 August 2008 - 03:19 PM.

#3 Renamon

Renamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

Saved, printed. Going to take this over there and see what he can do.

Tried it myself to connect to my router, no luck.

Edited by Renamon, 27 August 2008 - 04:48 PM.

#4 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

What I personally would do is re-create the network name to something new, and create a new wireless key. Try then connecting with both your computer and his to make sure it works properly.

#5 Renamon

Renamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

Will that work with FIOS?

#6 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:19 PM

The Neighbor might not want to re-create the Network or know how, so this is the Simplest and easiest solution to it. It would only take a few Minutes if that to get the WEP or WPA code once the Neighbor gets into the Router.

#7 Renamon

Renamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

Note that the router has NO host computer. FIOS routers supply internet, phone, and TV. There are no hosts, and dear GOD can those things hold some major bandwith.

#8 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

A quick Google search seems to indicate that the default wireless key for a Verizon-supplied FIOS router is located on a (physical) label on the router itself:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...28160203AAug76x

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=190808

Edited by M..., 27 August 2008 - 07:37 PM.

#9 Renamon

Renamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:12 PM

OH! So THAT'S The number.. alright. I'll get this all done tomorrow. Thanks a lot youguys, though one last question. Do I need to 'set; that uh... guess it'd be connection or anything?

#10 Renamon

Renamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

Bump. i hope you guys don't mind. Same subject, new problem. I can't connect. I only connected for like, five seconds this morning at 6 AM, and the stability was low. In the connect to thing it says 5 bars tho, why is this?

#11 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:23 PM

Where abouts in your House is your Computer?

Like say for example as near as possible or quite far away to your Neighbour.

Same for his Router, is it far from you or as near as possible.

Because they are affected by Distance and Walls can degrade the Signal also other Interference like a Wireless Phone or Microwave can affect it as well because they use the 2.4Ghz Band thats assuming that the Router uses that Frequency Band.

Edited by woodyblade, 29 August 2008 - 05:24 PM.

#12 Renamon

Renamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

Fat away. Wals, cordless phones, a microwave... yep. Sounds like my issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users