Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Issue - Can't Install Windows Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 M700-Owner

M700-Owner

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

Good Afternoon,

Hi. I am M700-Owner. It might be obvious but I own a Compaq M700 PIII 850mhz that I purchased 2 or 3 years ago used. One day late winter of this year it would not boot any longer, so I got another motherboard (the exact same) and works beautifully. The draw-back is that the Hard Drive that came with the laptop is a 6gb Toshiba Drive model MK6014MAP. I decided to upgrade the hard drive and purchased a new drive from compuvest. I selected a Seagate Momentus 5400.2 model ST960822A which was recommended by HP support. In doing such I try to install Windows Xp Home Upgrade with SP2 and it does not see the drive. I have tried the install a few ways.

First off, HP said to jump the drive to cable select and insert into the HD bay. In doing this I get the message "1782 disk controller failure". No go.

Second attempt, Hard drive set to master in HD bay. I get the message "fixed disk parameter or bios error system halted". No go either.

Third attempt, taking the seagate drive and placing it into a external usb enclosure. This gets me the farthest. I boot from the windows xp home upgrade cd and it checks the hardware so on and so forthe, installs drivers and gets me to the point where xp can be installed. When I hit enter to do a clean install I get the following message, *****Your computer's startup program cannot gain access to the disk containing the partition or free space you chose. Setup cannot install windows xp on this hard disk.

This lack of access does not necessarily indicate an error condition. For example, disks attached to a SCSI adapter that wasn't installed by your computer manufacturer or to a secondary hard disk controller, are typically not visible to the startup program unless special software is used. Contact your computer or hard disk controller manufacturer for more information.

On x86-based computers, this message may indicate a problem with the cmos drive type settings. See your disk controller documentation for more information.*****

Before anyone says it, I have the most recent bios upgrade. I have checked into this and verified that I have the most current bois. I have a copy of Seagate Diskwizard and format the drive via the external usb enclosure Works just fine. I even dis this in disk management and partitioned and formatted the drive just fine. I am absolutely sure the disk is in perfect condition. On another note, I posed this question on fixya.com and one guy that rehabs these says that he ran into issues with the M700 and 5400rpm drives. He says 4200rpm drives work fine but 5400rpm drives have problems.

Has anyone run across anything similiar to this? It seems like it is a driver issue for the controller. I have researched Microsoft, HP, Seagate, and Intel and have not seen the magic answer. Here is my system info:

Compaq Armada M700 Laptop

PIII 850mhz
Intel MB w/ Intel 440 chipset
Compaq Bios
MK6014MAP Toshiba 6gb Hard Drive (works fine xp installed & functioning)
ST960822A Seagate Momentus 5400.2 60gb Hard Drive (compatibility issues)

It has to be a setting or a driver or two that I am missing. HP Support claims they have installed this Seagate Drive on M700's before successfully. Needless to say, HP was not much help. This is why I am here. Bestowe upon your knowledge. This is a fun one.......

M700-Owner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:54 PM

the only issue you and your very thorough research hasn't covered would be the power requirements of the new drive

if there isn't enough amps to spin up and access those platters then that's all she wrote

fat lady sang

and welcome to BleepingComputer

Edited by DaChew, 27 August 2008 - 01:57 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

What I would do:

a. Check the BIOS to see that the drive is properly recognized there now, as opposed to the old/previous drive.

b. Attach the drive as Master, on the end connector of the IDE cable...making sure that the jumper is for Master.

c. Delete everything currently on the drive, using the XP CD. Use the XP CD to format/create/install.

If you get error message this time, please post same.

Louis

#4 M700-Owner

M700-Owner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:11 PM

Louis,

I follow what you are saying. As mentioned earlier, with the seagate drive installed in the hard drive bay, I get the following:

Seagate drive in hd bay jumped to cable select, get 1782 disk controller failure
Seagate drive in hd bay set as master, get fixed disk parameter or bios error system halted

I do not know if you are familiar with compaq laptop bios. The best way to describe it is that it is like accessing a file cabinet with some of the drawers locked. The bios for the compaq m700 is like this. I think this might be part of the problem. I am not sure if there is a way to access all the options of the bios since HP designed this to be partially accessible. Basically what you get for choices in this bios are system info, security options (passwords for startup and drive lock), and boot order.

Power spec for the seagate is +5V, 0.42A
Power spec for toshiba is +5Vą5%, Start 2.7W

These numbers seem comparable. It just does not make sense that HP Support recommended this drive and siad they had sucessful installs. I might try getting HP to respond accessing other bios settings.
It might lie there.

Thanks,
M700-Owner

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

<<The best way to describe it is that it is like accessing a file cabinet with some of the drawers locked.>>

LOL...I had one BIOS that was like that...very, very limited options for the user.

Sorry that I can't suggest anything else.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users